Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HELP my pride and joy is injured

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2003, 07:26 PM
superscoob
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks

MY01 with ppp. Recently(1500 miles ago) fitted Hayward and Scott downpipe and centre section, STI trumpet and K&N cone filter. Also had the little box wired into ECU to keep CEL off.
Driving on motorway light came on and i couldnt accelerate by more than just a fraction on the pedal or the car would just die. Took it to my local main dealer (good guys). He put it on the computer and got a reading that the exhaust gas temprature gauge was not working. He replace it with a spurious one and then he put a brand new air flow meter from a sales car on and this didint help. He then disconnected the CEL trick box and still no joy. The subaru diagnostics computer still says The Lambda probe. He has ordered a Subaru one which he will have in a couple of days. What do you guys reckon may be the problem because a friend of mine had the same with the light on but the car didnt stay in safe mofe after it was re-set. His ultimate solution came (ie the light is off permanently) when he got EcuTek.
Any ideas would be grateful as there is a low level of expertise in Ireland and my car is bunched and i am stuck driving a 323 coupe (garage lend)

Andrew
Old 13 April 2003, 08:12 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Cool

I wouldn't say that the level of scooby knowledge over here is too bad, although many of the subaru dealers do leave a lot to be desired.

I personally am no mechanic so can't help you in your search for a solution.

Andy
Old 13 April 2003, 08:33 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Andrew

I had an exhaust gas temp gauge failure a few months back. Exactly the same symptons. CEL came on - couldn't put my foot on the throttle. My car is an MY01, not PPP, but using the same exahust as yours.

In actual fact, I had been getting the CEL coming on a few times in the weeks leading upto the failure. Local garage are pretty good. They ran a diagnostics check that showed up the EGT problem, but also a second reading that the EGT was giving false readings. Because of this, they reset the CEL. After a while it came back on and the car died. Subaru assistance took the car back to the garage where they replaced the EGT gauge and everything has been fine since.

There have been a number of these failure on MY01s, both from catted and decatted cars, so I don't think the exhaust is entirely to blame. It seems to me that maybe there has been a faulty batch fitted to a number of cars, as the number of failures is quite high.

Chris
Old 14 April 2003, 03:48 PM
superscoob
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Chris

I am waiting on the EGT sensor to arrive, should have it on wednesday. Hope this sorts it.
Old 22 April 2003, 07:10 PM
superscoob
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your help guys.

It turns out that the temprature sensor in the turbo unit was blown.
Had it repalced and car is running fine now. Dont know if this part would have went without the full decat and induction kit though. Any ideas before i take them all off or will i stick with it?