Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Full decat - can it ever be "quiet"?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2003, 10:41 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm considering going for a full decat on my MY00 Turbo. It's a UK car with Scoobysport decatted centre and BB. I'm thinking of taking it to SS for new up/down pipes and an Tek 2.5 remap. I want the extra performance, but don't want the car to sound too loud. Is this possible?

I've seen references to people having "exhaust wrap" applied to their downpipes. Does this really have much effect? Also, the SS centre section I currently use is straight-through. I presume this is "non-resonated". Would a "resonated" pipe make much difference, or would it not - since it would be in the context of a full decat system.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a good Scoob - but I don't want to have the neighbours giving me grief every day because of the car's exhaust noise.
Old 03 April 2003, 12:33 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

in a word NO

the exhaust wrap is a heat shield but does make it a little quieter.

the revolution full de-cat downpipe and system are about the quietest i have heard to date.
Old 03 April 2003, 12:34 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

From what I know of the Scoobysport dp/mid/bb combo, it's not the quietest, no... I added the DP to the mid/bb & it came off within a few days - gave me a headache!
Lagging the dp makes minimal difference, as does a centre resonator (IMO).
A quiet DP is the BPM, which combined with the HKS Drager (not the Hyper!) gives good power & minimal droning.
Another alternative is the APS system - quieter than the BPM/HKS, a different look, and possibly less problematic to map for as it has a cast bellmouth-with-splitter on the turbo rather than twin-dump (twin dumps are meant to be trickier to map with - not sure if this affects the BPM or not as it is a 'true' twin-dump rather than just sticking the wastegate gases in 1" down the tube from the main exhaust...)
But exhausts (or rather their noise level) are highly subjective! You may have an entirely difference idea of 'loud' to me