Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Where to go from here?

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2003, 12:50 PM
KRM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

STi 2 with DV, backbox, downpipes and intake done (center pipe will be going soon, just got a test to pass first ) and I'm wondering where to go next?

Boost seems to be peaking at about 1-1.1 (TD05) and holding between about .75 and .8 bar but I find I'm getting occasional overboost (well, i think I am - boot it and the car spools up a bit, boost drops and it hesitates, then fires up again)

I want two things really - sort out the overboost problem and more boost I'm thinking something like a boost controller (recommendations) or would an air/fuel controller be a better bet? I'm not keen on an engine rebuild so would rather go for safety over power
Old 02 April 2003, 03:39 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

get a Dawes device(boost controller) around £50 from jwracing and set it at 1.0 bar. that will give you better spool up of the turbo and stop the boost tailing off,it will also stop the fuel cut(overboost).

an AFR is also a good idea for safety as is a knocklink.
Old 02 April 2003, 03:49 PM
KRM
Scooby Regular

I take it this is the "SuperDuty boost controller"? I've heard all sorts of tales of Dawes Devices - is it wise to put one on a Jap Spec car or is the fact that I'm setting it to a slightly lower boost negate any potential damage?

Their AF meter looks good, definitely adding that to my shopping list!