STi V Type-R Turbo pressure

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2003, 03:07 PM
RNunes
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

I'm a happy owner of an STi V Type-R in Portugal (imported from the Uk).

The only problem I have is that I don't get over 0,8 bar from my gauge (against the 1,1 that I've seen as normal here on scoobynet). Have been trying to find out what the problem might be but without any success yet.

We've even tried replacing all the hoses from the wastegate and T-sections with one set from a MY99 (just for checking, since we heard rumors that something could have been done to it) and exactly the same result was given.

It isn't turbo loosing pressure because we've tried "cheating" the wastegate and we've got up to 1,5 bar.

I wonder what could be wrong. Could it be that the ECU was remapped (by the previous owner) to avoid it to get over that value? Are the hoses from the STi V Type-R similar to the ones on MY99 (in my case they are exactly the same)?

Next thing we'll try is to measure the boost pressure right out from the Turbo (just in case the gauge isn't working properly, which I doubt).

Sorry about any silly statement but I'm not actually an expert on this, just trying to synthesize all I've heard from the “techies” who had a look at it so far :-)

Any help is more than welcome!

Thanks,
RNunes

Old 30 March 2003, 04:12 PM
hypoluxa
Scooby Regular

I would check the restrictor size, it should be significantly smaller on the STI than the MY99 you have for comparison.

This will have a greater effect on the boost ramp and peak boost, as opposed to the held boost though. A UK restrictor in my STI 5 dropped 'peak' boost to around 0.8bar, it would then creep up to its target of circa 1.1bar. With the standard STI one I would get around 1.35bar peak, then tailing off to 1.1.

What fuel do you have?
Old 30 March 2003, 04:24 PM
RNunes
Scooby Newbie

Many thanks for your help. I'll definitely check that (as soon as I find where it is :-) ).

But, if I got you right, I should get 1.1 in intensive use, right? I never got over 0.8 :-/

I always use 98 RON fuel.

Cheers,
RNunes

[Edited by RNunes - 3/30/2003 5:28:18 PM]
Old 31 March 2003, 12:52 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Hi there,

What sort of average air temperatures are you driving in over there?

Moray
Old 31 March 2003, 02:44 PM
hypoluxa
Scooby Regular

The restrictor is in the first hose of the turbo, the L shaped one. Take the hose off and feel for a bump - thats the restrictor. Just squeeze/ push it out. The hole in an STI 5 restrictor is around 0.8mm. A UK around 1.2mm iirc.

Double check the gauge fittings/hose. What vacuum do you see at idle?

I would be very careful running 98RON especially with higher ambient temps. My car used to det on Optimax + Millers.
Old 01 April 2003, 11:43 AM
RNunes
Scooby Newbie

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay, I've been away for 2 days.

Moray, usually the temp here is between 5 to 20 in winter and up to 35 in the Summer (Centigrades :-)

Hypoluxa, I'll check that and post here later on today. If the restrictor isn't the right one, do you have any idea about how can I get one?

About fuel, I've been using 98RON no adictives because that's what the previous owner (Subaru dealer) told me that the car was prepared for (even though I know that the Japanese spec is for a higher octane index :-/ ). I'm not sure if the ECU was remaped or not, I guess I'll have to try to find out but I never noticed any deton.

If sometimes you have hard times with grey imports in the UK, you can imagine here in Portugal where, that I know of, there are only 2 Type-R's (one STi IV and mine V) off from the standard spec. :-(

Thanks again,
RNunes
Old 01 April 2003, 12:37 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Hi again,

What sort of air temperatures are you finding now? I am just wondering if the ecu is reducing its boost targets because of high intake temperatures.

Moray
Old 01 April 2003, 02:02 PM
RNunes
Scooby Newbie

Hi Moray,

Temperature shouldn't be a problem, we're having between 15 to 20 now and I've been having this problem since I bought the car... last summer. Should have spoted this before, I know, I know

Thanks,
RNunes
Old 01 April 2003, 04:25 PM
RNunes
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Ok, quick stop at the garage, check hose and guess what... NO restrictor.

Next thursday car is going in to fix this and testing. I'll post the result here.

Gauge vacuum 42 cm/*something* :-)
Is this normal?

Oh thank you sooo much,
RNunes

Ps. I'm seriously considering adding a Knock Link just to make sure I get no nasty surprises in the future.

Pps. Following your advise I'll probably start adding an octane booster too. Should an ECU reset be done? Shame we don't get Optimax here :-/
Old 03 April 2003, 07:34 PM
RNunes
Scooby Newbie

Hi all,

Hypoluxa, that was actually the problem, it is now fixed and am I happy with the result... woohaaa...

Thank you so much for your help.

I'll follow your advise and start using addictive in the fuel. I'll also get a knocklink and a Lambdalink. I guess thah's the best I can have, right?

Oh thank you thank you thank you :-),
RNunes