Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

need advise

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2003, 10:26 AM
alexWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everybody,
Need your advise. Sorry if some terms i say wrong (as im not very familiar with car lexicon).
At the moment considering of purchasing of exaust manifold (that pipes which go from blockheads to turbine). Who has it fitted or knows - does it give any gain in power, how much? Is it worth to fit?
Thanks
Old 27 March 2003, 12:17 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Hi Alex

I can't give you any answers to your question, but I can help you get them. The part of the exhaust you describe is commonly known as the 'exhaust headers', there are different types - equal length, unequal length for example. Some increase the power at the expense of low down torque, others give good gains througout, it all depends on the application. I think typical gains to expect are 20 - 30 bhp. They are not cheap though, it wouldn't be the first mod I'd do to the car, however if you are seriously tuning your car then the headers will have to be modified at some stage. the most cost effective way is to port the standard headers yourself, there are some good gains to be had cheaply.

My advice to you is to use the search function with the keywod ' headers' and have a good read!

Welcome to the BBS
Old 27 March 2003, 10:19 PM
alexWRX
Scooby Regular

Hi! Thanks for your answer. The headers i've found are SH so this isnt expencive option (around 200$). It seems to be unequal length. The only thing i was wondering does it realy give any boost. 20-30 hp for 200$ sounds good to me LOL.