Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Light stema/smoke coming out of bonnet scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2003, 01:56 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just a quicky
I've noticed after a reasonable blast on motorway or whereever, ie when turbo has been in use, when i come 2 a standstill in traffic or wotever that there is like a light white smoke, more like mist or water vapour in the hot air coming off. U can c heat haze coming off but definately a slight colour to it also sumtimes.
Just wanting to quel my paranoia mode that this potentially isnt a symptom of owt else
Is this just likely 2 b water or sumin in the intercooler from not having been overused
Si (paranoid retards r us )
Old 18 March 2003, 02:11 PM
kev93wrx
Scooby Regular

Does it smell mate just guessing could be rocker gasket common problem
Old 18 March 2003, 02:21 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Didnt like 2 jump out 2 smell it on motorway & i always give it a nice cool down period b4 i stop so no steam/smoke & or smeel by then. Will give her a bit of welly & have a sniff later
So wot smell shud i (or shouldnt i being optimistic) if that is trubble? & dare i ask if u have any idea how much wedge we're lookin at
Si
PS TSL didnt comment on anything when i mentioned it & they were fitting clutch etc although there was a slight oil leak elsewhere but that's not an issue
Old 18 March 2003, 06:45 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

Kudnt get it 2 do it on 8 mile return journey but then i was hardly guna red line it on such a short journey will test on motorway 2morrow & get nose on standby
Si
Old 19 March 2003, 01:57 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

had steam coming from the front passenger side vent once when that overfill thing erupted!!

mate said his uk car did it once as well aftera blaso down the same road (hard!!) and then stopped at the lights
Old 19 March 2003, 09:34 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

& nothing terminal yet then
So whats this rocker gasket problem?
Si
Old 19 March 2003, 01:11 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If your car is one of the older ones with a platic coolant resevoir then it is leaking. This is an almost 'common' problem.
The coolant reaches high temperatures / pressures when you 'rag' the car. You come to a standstill, and the coolant that has leaked out a little bit will 'steam' through the bonnet vent. It will smell of cooked anti-freeze. It really isn't very bad, just enough to make you swallow nervously and hope you car is okay.

Pop the bonnet and have a look at the resevoir. If it has white or pinky residue on it, then you've found your problem.

I just fitted a brand new one (£40) and the cap leaks after a few weeks. Just bad design.
If you want a better one, get a metal one.
Old 19 March 2003, 01:21 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

scooby_si -

Having this problem myself. Turned out I have/had both problems, leaking power steering resevoir, which was replaced with the later metal resevoir and pump from a P1, and also suspected leaking rocker gaskets. The gaskets are apparantly a known problem, certainly on older classics, planning to have all mine replaced shortly. Gaskets kit comes in at around £200 I believe.

I occasionally get puffs of smoke out of the bonnet, looks worse than it is, just make sure you keep an eye on oil levels until fixed.
Old 19 March 2003, 02:19 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

how can the cap leak when theres a pipe coming of it that vents to the atmosphere??
im asuming its an over flow design for when u rag it and come to a stop

my mates goes through the inner wing by the looks of it and my other mates just sits behind the head light like mine does
Old 19 March 2003, 04:22 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah i was going to ask where the overflow pipe should be pointing as it is a bit of a random waving in thin air kinda set up. Oh well does seem a bit crusty down by the pipe but still plenty in there so surely not leaking left right & centre but is inevitable a bit carp
Other than that i shall have a boot tonight & c if i can smell myself erm surely if it's loosing oil thru rocker gakets (if im reading wot u said correctly?) then the smoke wood b more bluey woodn't it?
Anyway fingers x'd but still intreging
Si
Old 19 March 2003, 04:36 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

You're looking at the wrong tank, guys, that isn't the coolant tank, that is the coolant filler.
The coolant tank is the black sqaure one directly on top of the water pump (except on newer cars) with a pipe leading off directly to the turbo. This comes off a plastic nipple next to the pressure cap.

WARNING this plastic can become very brittle with time: You should avoid moving the hose if you can help it, or the nipple will snap off. I know of at least two people who have done this.

These tanks leak, especially on the higher specced cars.

BTW, if you are leaking power steering fluid I would strongly advise caution: Power Steering fluid is EXTREMELY flammable.
Old 19 March 2003, 07:01 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

hey it's the nearest smily i kud do 2 me just singing my eyebrows! lol kidding no combustion other than where it should b
Anyway will check there 2morrow as i really must clean engine fully anyhow as i no the bit yer on about is pretty black on the top cant say as i'd ever noticed a plastic tube leading of it but must confess i aint examined it that much, i just went oh metal box thats nice (mechanical retard mode still in effect u c)
Kudnt get it 2 do it today & was even deliberatly giving it a bit of stick on the motorway (hopefully i slowed down enough/just in time not 2b gettin a NIP as nice policeman sat at side of road pointing thingy at me set of my laser detector ) fingers x'd it was poor sod infront who was hopefully blacking clear view
Anyway watch this space round 3...............
Si
Old 24 March 2003, 05:38 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

Right the ellsuive random steam thing did it's funky thing again on way home after a bit of turbo use but nowt OTT as only a short journey.
Anyway it does seem to be coming from around the main metal coolant reservoir thingamy (NB the main cube is metal so did i misinterpret earlier comments about being plastic or is a MY97 guna have the new & imprvoed metal jobby?) couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from as it was only doing it lightly since i had cooled down a bit by the time i stopped. Maybe my nose is also a retard then but it didnt really smell of anything.
So looking like possibly a small leak from one of the hoses on the underside of this metal box ting at a guess, any1 else had similar?
My engine is pretty damn dirty all round there so could alternatively be sum shyte cooking but seems strange it only does it sporadically & not any area noticable smoking.....
Si (not too worried but looking 4 reassurance & help still )
Old 24 March 2003, 08:05 PM
Vinesh
Scooby Regular

New engine mate

U checked all the clips and hoses?
Old 24 March 2003, 08:35 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Cool

It definitely sounds like coolant to me, from what you've described. If possible, I pic of your engine would be handy.

I dunno about the MY97....I know pre MY95 had a plastic tank. It LOOKS metal, but it's only plastic, unless you have an STi.
Has the Shiny metal Cap on it, and if you open it you see Green AntiFreeze inside.

One of the main signs of a coolant leak in this area is "limescale" on the tank...little white crusty ares where the coolant has boiled out of the tank. This can actually be as mundane as your system being a wee bit overfilled, and it boiling out of the top of the screwcap.... I am convinced that over flow pipe does next to nothing.

Old 24 March 2003, 08:38 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Vin dont say things like that or else i will b sueing u if it happens lol, aint checked all clips etc in detail like just a quick gander & im presuming since its so sparse on the mist front i guess it wood just b a small leak at most.
I will take sum close up pix 2morrow just on the offchance u experts can spot sumin in the area i missed. My mum always said i'd go blind lol
Si
PS Vin mate u guna kum 2 da Next Cov area meet & there's a trip over Santa pod the week after aint seen u in ages go on m8y (u still got same beasty or given in2 more power yet????)
Old 25 March 2003, 06:55 AM
Vinesh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Still got the car.

No new mods.

I have put my name down for Santa Pod
Old 25 March 2003, 09:20 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

C ya soon then Vin my man
Pix as follows:

pretty dirty & there was a noticable little puff of steam type thing from around the base of this so it's looking like the cause. So question is as follows, presuming u agree, where & how much did u get either the plastic or metal replacement thingamy from? & what is the correct name for it? i have a healthy list of breakers if metal un available from STi & not likely to be busted also but ideally wood want a new un really????
Cheers
Si
Old 25 March 2003, 09:20 AM
willgill
Scooby Regular

sounds exactly like mine, doesnt smoke at all until you boot it on boost, then sit at the traffic lights smoking like a kebab house on friday night!
I've got my mechanic to take it away today and fix it, I've been told it could vary from, coolant filler thingy, split plastic radiator cap or even as bad a head gasket. if its the HG no biggie coz I can get the cambelt done at the same time

good luck with yours
Old 25 March 2003, 09:21 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

PS that little bugger is obviously plastic duz a good job of fooling the novice (yep me) that's its metal at 1st glance thou
Old 25 March 2003, 09:23 AM
willgill
Scooby Regular

however looking at your picture ignore me mine smokes from nearer the front bumper, looks like you just need a new coolant reserve tank (thats what its called in the handbook)
Old 25 March 2003, 01:02 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Something to consider Si

I had this the other morning, the first junction I came to, Looked Right, looked left and thought Christ, where's all that smoke coming from. I tell you what it was. Wind blowing onto the back of the car and blowing the exhaust smoke/fumes/condensation UNDER the car and then being pulled up through the engine bay.

Worried me a bit at first but ask yourself this : Does it happen during the first few minutes in the morning/after a long stand? Does it happen while the car is cooling down (I.e After a blast)
Are you running a full decat?
Next time it happens and IF it is convienient stop the car and pop round the back of the car to see if there is alot of "stuff" coming out of the exhaust.
The colour of that smoke may point you to the real problem (If there is one) If the exhaust is not smoking/leaking then it's probably the suggested fault. If not it might just save you a few quid
All IMHO worth a shout i reckon.

Mikey
Old 25 March 2003, 01:11 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cunning plan but the other day on inspection there was still a hint of steam around the 4mentioned area & the engine was off at this point. Definately kuming outa scoop when running & i never have wind lol.
Cheers 4 trying 2 save me money thou u herd about me beign a tight wod n all?
Si
Old 25 March 2003, 05:38 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

So where can you get either the inferior plastic coolant reservoirs from then or even better the metal uns? I've had a quick scan of the main scooby suppliers but kudnt c any mention of this particular device
I can worst case get from a breakers as i have a substantial list but ideally looking 4 sumwhere new
Ta
Si
Old 25 March 2003, 05:47 PM
Vinesh
Scooby Regular

http://www.spec-r.co.uk/

http://www.grahamgoode.com/cgi-bin/page.pl?car=subaru&page=engparts1.htm

[Edited by Vinesh - 3/25/2003 5:52:18 PM]
Old 25 March 2003, 05:51 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

Cheers Vin but if the "water header tank" is wot we're talkin about here then holy crap i definately need to know where turbo steve got his placcy un (or wotever he got in end) for £40
Si
Old 25 March 2003, 06:11 PM
Vinesh
Scooby Regular

Grade A breakers?

Dealers?
Old 25 March 2003, 06:13 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers m8 i had missed that 1 on GGR (mum always said i'd go blind ) as i say i have a substantial list of breakers so will ring round 2morrow & try a few dealer types
Si
PS so which models had metal tank as standard all STis + or other?????
Old 25 March 2003, 06:19 PM
Vinesh
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've got a metal one (MY99) - UK

Get the chrome one and charge it to the credit card

[Edited by Vinesh - 3/25/2003 6:57:04 PM]
Old 25 March 2003, 06:37 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Creidt card already gettin raped from various speed devices (damn NIP) recent AP organic clutch thing 90k service looming as well as the usuall other bills oh & all the bits i keep buying 2nd hand off scoobynet that bugger me bank balance 2 start with .
Si
PS wot MY99 was yers again rex?

Quick Reply: Light stema/smoke coming out of bonnet scoop?