Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Is the MY01 OEM Up-pipe a flexible?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2003, 06:47 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

If so, will a solid up pipe, like the Magnex or Scoobysport work? Would the thermal expansion caused pull open the flanges or damage the turbo?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 15 March 2003, 07:16 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Im not sure that the standard pipe is flexible.

But i have heard of some up-pipes to split!!

Thats why ive gone for a flexible one. See members gallery Bobby's new pipe. (will try and attatch link)

Oh mines an 02wrx
Old 15 March 2003, 07:36 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I believe the curve in the OEM up-pipe is crush bent, os has some amount of flex, but isn't truly a flexible joint (I've never taken the heatshielding off mine though). Pete Croney did some sums to show that the differential thermal expansion is so close that a 304 stainless pipe will not cause any problems as long as you have a flat flange and decent gasket. I've had a scoobysport up-pipe for a while with no problems.

There have also been reports of leaks from flex jointed up-pipes, so there's no guarantee of either way being best. If you're really worried, get an APS up-pipe with the sleeved flexible joint. IMHO this is probably going to be the best compromise, but probably not the cheapest.
Old 15 March 2003, 07:45 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers.

Which probe is it that fits into the up pipe. Is it the exhaust gas temperature? Does it need a fix box?

Steve

Old 15 March 2003, 07:59 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yes it's EGT. With the scoobysport, you can replace the sensor inot the new up-pipe (don't know about some others). There have been a few cases apparently where they have burnt out, both with OEM and uprated uppipes.

The sensor is only there to ensure that you don't overheat the catalyst, and isn't used to adjust the engine. Therefore, if it does burn out, the fix is a 2.2kOhm resistor which will fool the ECU into thinking that the catalyst is sitting happily at operating temperature.
Old 16 March 2003, 01:10 AM
BL
Scooby Regular

Is this resistor the same thing as the cel fix??

Im confused now. Thought all i needed was the cel fix to sort out all my problems.

Anyone care to enlarge on the restrictor??

Bob
Old 16 March 2003, 08:46 AM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Steve,
Im at work today I have some bits of exhaust for you to have a look at befor I fit If I get time I will pop round tonight.
cheers
gus
Old 16 March 2003, 09:10 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers mate. I'll be washing the car later so see you then.

Steve
Old 16 March 2003, 01:52 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

BL - The "normal" CEL fix is for the rear O2 sensor and prevents the catalyst innefficiency code. The ECU compares front and rear 02 readings to ensure that the catalysts are doing their job (this is a requirement of various emmissions laws, and is the main emmissions check in some states of the USA)

The EGT sensor is in the up-pipe cat to detect overheating of the cat (as overheating could cause it to break up). Putting the sensor back in a decat up-pipe is normally fine as a decat up-pipe will run cooler than a catted one. In the event it fails, you can either replace it, or use the 2.2k resistor trick to work around it. I wouldn't recommend using the 2.2k resistor fix for an OEM catted up-pipe though.
Old 16 March 2003, 06:51 PM
minister of speed
Scooby Regular

Question

Non expert additional info:

I'm sure I read somewhere on a yankee forum that people had carefully and skilfully removed the cat in the oem uppipe ...

and the power figures from the now modded original and a aftermarket replacement were hardly noticable.

S'pose this means either you need money or time (with a bit of skill)for the same results. (And modded one might be warranty friendly too).

Cheers
Old 16 March 2003, 10:02 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

Still loitering then John? Haven't heard from you for a while! Get yourself over to our meet bluewater way on Friday! (see Southern section)

Yeah, the yanks have poked out the cat from an OEM up-pipe, see nasioc and a couple of the other forums for more info. Won't be as good as a well designed taper as it gives turbulence rather than optimal high speed uninterupted gas flow into the turbo. A "proper" up-pipe will help give quicker turbo spool up, although probably only 1 or 2 bhp extra on peak power.

Edited to convert it into real english.

[Edited by hades - 3/16/2003 10:04:37 PM]
Old 16 March 2003, 10:19 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Heres my new up-pipe that is to be fitted. I guess all i need now is the cel fix & the resistor.

My Up-Pipe

Bob

[Edited by BL - 3/16/2003 10:21:38 PM]
Old 16 March 2003, 10:25 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Hades

As you can see ive got an up-pipe and a downpipe to be fitted.

a. Do i need new gaskets (mines reg 03/02)
b. Where can i get this 2.2 resistor & how much?
c. Is this resistor thing easy to install? If so, any chance you can mail me instructions.
d. Will this resistor stop the even of the egt sensor melting thus stopping the potential cause of the whole car coming to a halt.

Thanks

Bob
Old 17 March 2003, 06:20 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Bob

1. IMHO always fit new gaskets. The up-pipe is a lot of hassle to get at, and there have been people who have had leaks, which have to be more probable if you re-use the gaskets. Gaskets aren't that pricey in the context of the up-pipe and the fitting time.
2, 3 & 4. I would put your original EGT sensor back into the new up-pipe (looking at the link, there is a bush for it). Don't worry about the resistor unless you get a Check Engine Light with the EGT code - like the other thread on here. If that happens, the resistor is very cheap - I'd recommend Maplin part number D2K2 at £0.17, although you can get lower spec resistors even cheaper! Fitting is simply pushing one end of the resistor into one socket of the multiplug, and the other end into the other socker, plus tape or heatshrink tubing to secure it in place. However, as I said, I wouldn't worry about that unless you get the CEL.

Hope that helps.

Phil
Old 17 March 2003, 07:18 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

OK, I've bought a Scoobysports up-pipe today, complete with new studs and gaskets.

Next question, how do you fit it? I will be fitting a downpipe at the same time so help with that would be a bonus!

Steve
Old 17 March 2003, 07:58 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Steve - it's not a small or easy job.

See here - it explains it much better than I ever could!
Old 17 March 2003, 08:10 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Funny enough I've just printed that out!

Steve