Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Very hot running and reports of blue smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2003, 03:23 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a MY99 uk turbo with a full SS decat and Tek2 with ITG panel filter.

I've had the Tek2 for about 2 weeks now and the first thing I noticed was low water levels after I had a funny damp smell. So topped that up but the fans seem to be constantly on in traffic and the engine smell is oily (something which I had all the time with my old Fiesta RST), and just this morning my Dad said he saw blue smoke as I drove off from home.

The levels were fine when I checked them a week or so ago but I'm going to wait for it to get cold and check them again.

Basically I think this needs the once over by a professional just to be on the safe side but is there anywhere I can look under the bonnet that may give the cause away, I've had a good look around the turbo and dont see any oil or water, the engine bay is mucky as usual but not oiled up or wet any more than they usually are.

Other than that I dont know my way around the engine yet so dont know the usual places to look for leaking fluids, help!

No doubt I'll get an email from the friendly istaller of the Tek2 but I thought i'd get this post up just in case he's not in.
Old 15 March 2003, 03:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

How long have you had the full decat for?
If the exhaust hasnt been on very long (ie 2 weeks) then it could be the oil in that, thats being burnt off, on the other hand if you have had it on for quite a while it looks like your using a very small ammout of oil (that your not noticing) which is a sign of wear and tear.
If in doubt i would get the car checked over at a speciallist/subaru dealer.

Tony
Old 15 March 2003, 03:30 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decat has been on over a month now, I went back for the tek2 a couple of weeks ago, they had it on the select monitor and went out for a drive and everything reported fine apart from the O2 sensor in the downpipe (near or on, i dont know), they said it was stable and should be fluctuating as the rev's rose, but it didnt so they replaced it with a BOSCH one from a local outlet. Other than that the car was running fine, its only on 38k and has full subaru service history and is about to go in for its 60k service. The defi gauges I have are reporting 1.4bar peak which even if you take off .1 for inaccuracy is 1.3 which I thought was quite high, it holds around 1.1-1.2 so apart from the high peak it sounds about right!?