Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Comments on my power increase plan please all!

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2003, 11:00 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Hi All,

Current scenario is: Bugeye, Scoobysport BB and mid section, ITG panel filter and Forge dump valve. Good for 230/235 bhp ish.

Ive decided to give it a big hike and spend some money.

Im currently thinking of the following:

Trip to power engineering - to include twin dump down pipe(apparently gets round mill light issue), up pipe, induction kit? and the TEK 3 ECU remap. Im hoping this will find me somewhere around 260-280 bhp.

What do people think, would you do anything else while Im on it? Is the up pipe worth it??

Any suggestions etc appreciated!

thanks

Andy

Old 15 March 2003, 02:44 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes the up-pipe is well worth it. With the OEM up-pipe, there is a risk of it disintegrating at higher boost, so the chances are Merv won't map the ECU to give as much boost as you'd otherwise get. I seriously doubt you'd reach 280bhp with those mods and the OEM up-pipe. It also makes a big difference to turbo spool up.

Think you may have the wrong end of a stick - AFAIK the PE downpipe doesn't get round the CEL (Check Engine Light) issue; fitting their sports cat centre section does, as that keeps emmissions low enough that the engine doesn't get excited.

I'd also recommend fitting an uprated intercooler hose as I believe the OEM one can split at higher boost, and also won't flow that well. Other thing worth considering IMHO is to port the headers when you do the up-pipe.

With similar mods - ITG, Samco hose, scoobysport up-pipe, ported headers, APS sports cat exhaust, and a TEK 2 from PE - I got 284bhp/272lbft with a very wide torque and power curve.
Old 15 March 2003, 09:25 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool, thanks for the tips! - always wondered what the point in the samco in the ppp was
Old 15 March 2003, 09:30 PM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly what I would recommend too. And without the cat + the benefit of a TEK3, you should be looking at + 290. What about lightweight pulleys, an STI scoop and intercooler spray to keep that interwarmer cold. Did you deplastic your airintake? (all the way to the filterhousing itself).

Good luck. Keep us informed.

P.S. What about a uprated fuelpump?