Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine Noise From Cold

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2003, 06:58 PM
shady2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should a new WRX engine sound like from cold. Mine seems to have a slight knock and as this is my first impreza i wondered if this is normal?.
Old 10 March 2003, 10:26 PM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

Rattly on start up - a bit like an aero engine firing up - you can hear every moving part clattering away for a few moments - as long as it quietens down after a bit then it's unlikely to be anything to worry about...

Have a look here - your not the only one:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=183709
Old 10 March 2003, 10:27 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i was told most imprezas have a noisey engine from cold
mine is
mates is worse then mine
importer who sold me the car said his old man had a legacy and his was the same
try to not worry about it
but its hard when people keep saying "piston slap" lol
everytime i read these boards i think my cars gonna blow up lol

but yes a lot of them are noisey from cold, mine sounds very "camshaft`y" until its warmed up
Old 10 March 2003, 10:31 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

actualy i did a sorta test type thing
i started mine from cold and potterd as usual to work
i delibritly kept the revs low, and even when it was all warmed up it was still a little noisey, i was told that the engines are noisey until the wrm oil gets round all the bits, so i reved the engine up

was quiet stright away!!
still paranoid about this piston slap tho lol
im going to work i 15 mins and the cars been standing for hours and hours
will be listenging as usual lol
Old 11 March 2003, 06:45 PM
shady2
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies everyone i'll get it checked at it's 1000 mile service.
Old 12 March 2003, 08:59 AM
sooby
Scooby Regular

G'day,

I have an MY00 which I have been concerned about since it did about 1000 odd miles - at least that's when I noticed what appeared to be a knocking noise. I could only hear it when the engine was warm, typically when I left the engine idle while I got out and opened the garage to put my baby to bed ;-).

Over the next 10,000 miles, the garage had the car a number of times to see if they could pinpoint my concerns. I had the timing belt tensioner changed (2,500miles), the gearbox release bearing changed(9,000ish miles) and had an additive added to the engine oil to clean the oil ways before changing oil and oil filter(12,500miles).

Finally, the head engineer had the car for the night eventually coming back and saying he couldn't hear anything - at least anything that was out of the ordinary. But I was convinced that the car was trying to tell me something! Also, several folk at the garage heard what I was concerned about, otherwise they wouldn't have changed those components. If you stand in front of the car looking into the engine compartment, the noise appears to come from the front right hand side of the engine.

I did hear this noise on one other MY02 turbo whilst it was ticking over waiting to be put on a ramp when I was at the garage - I have also loaned other turbos that were dead quiet. Perhaps its something in the air-con but only removing the belts will tell. So this gets me thinking that perhaps this /may/ not be a problem after all - perhaps me just being over protective and not being used to what this engine should sound like. So I went home thinking that it must be me - my girlfriend thinks its just me 'cus she doesn't hear it - but she's a chick! And anyway, wouldn't something have come of this after 10,000 miles? The car runs very well, plenty of punch, consumes no oil - in fact, other than hearing this noise, I would say the car is great.

Meanwhile.....

I'm thinking about PPP! So I phone around because many garages offer MY00 PPP for almost 1600GBP where as some are charging 2000GBP. One garage said come round and we'll give you some printed info that we have. Okay, I thought this might be another opportunity for someone else to listen to the engine.

I get there later that day and ask if someone would listen to the engine because I was concerned there may be a noise that I cannot explain. Sometimes it's more obvious than others, only noticeable when warm and idling and with the bonnet down (helps the echo - maybe). This was going to be difficult because they were on a main road and the ambient noise has to be low otherwise you look like a fool saying "can u hear it, can u hear it?"!

After a few moments of nose in engine compartment, this chief engineer walks away to get something. This smug little chappy went and got a stethoscope. He spent some time around all of the engine block. Let's me listen too. The noise I heard all the time but to varying degrees was there load and clear.

The engineer told me that he wasn't sure exactly which noise I was singling out, but in his experience the noises he could hear were telling him that the engine was healthy but come back anytime if you are concerned.

The fact that the volume of the internal workings were magnified many fold when using this stethoscope removed all ambiguity as to trying to get someone to listen to one very specific thing that was of concern. I now feel comfortable with this being the normal sound.

I think I'm going to get a stethoscope and listen now and again and if anything changes take it from there. I think I will also send a letter to Subaru outlining my experience so that there is some history behind the vehicle should I need to make a future claim. As the time draws near, I will extend the warranty anyway.

Long ramble over - but perhaps there'll be a little info in there to calm your fears or get you to try something new?
Old 12 March 2003, 05:39 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Sooby
You are describing something I have been aware of on my 99MY almost from new (24k now). It's not a true "knock" but a "deeper" sound from the side you describe. Over this mileage it has not got any worse. Again, other similar age engines seem quieter in this respect than mine. I honestly believe there is nothing wrong but am about to change the cambelt tensioner as a precaution.
JohnD
Old 12 March 2003, 07:09 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

u dont need a steathascope u can use a screwdriver or anything simmiler

how much are the cambelt tensioners?
Old 12 March 2003, 09:37 PM
sooby
Scooby Regular

JohnD,

Your description of the sound certainly seems to be familiar. I am glad someone else has probably experienced and paid attention to it as it makes me feel even more comfortable. I will be even more happy if, after changing your cambelt tensioner, you still have it! At least you'll know then that there is nothing wrong with the cambelt tensioner!

Sadly though - it is probably not the same sound that the gentlemen are discussing elsewhere in this thread <shrug>!

StickyMicky,

I think I read somewhere that tensioners are in the region of 250GBP, perhaps JohnD will know better.

I still want a stethoscope ;-)
Old 12 March 2003, 09:38 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Wink

A stethoscope is good as you can play "doctors and nurses" with it afterwards!
Cambelt tensioner is - wait for it - Ģ221!! (but get an SIDC discount) I did, however, get one at a very advantageous price due I believe to the parts manager misreading the parts list! Cheekily I demanded my SIDC discount - and got it!
JohnD
Old 14 March 2003, 10:03 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

One of the most common faults of late is the timing belt tensioner, as it does give quite a nasty mettallic knock, which clears as the engine warms up. once the timing covers are off, you can normally see a slight mark on the casting of the tensioner, where it is bouncing up and hitting its support bracket. make sure you fit a new tensioner [gen preferred-as modified] with "green dot", normally cures 99% of all gremlins
Old 14 March 2003, 02:02 PM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

I have a MY01 with 8125 miles on it. Got it from new and engine was always noisy when cold. Dealer changed the tensioner but the noise is still there. I removed the cover and found a little blurred blue dot. Did he just paint a green dot and try to cover the old one?
Old 14 March 2003, 02:13 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

There should be a green paint dot just to one side of the bolt head holding the pulley to the tensioner casting.
JohnD

[Edited by JohnD - 3/14/2003 8:52:40 PM]
Old 15 March 2003, 10:07 PM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

StickyMicky

Mine is like yours. If revs are kept low the noise wonīt go away eve if warm.

What MY is yours? Did you have the tensioner changed?what is the mileage?

Cheers
Old 22 March 2003, 07:47 PM
shady2
Scooby Regular

Took my car into the dealers yesterday for the slight engine noise to be listened too. I was with the technician when he started the car up this morning and he said this noise is normal until things have warmed up, he also started up a car awaiting collection and this sounded the same.
Old 22 March 2003, 09:01 PM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

Has anyone got a picture of where the tensioner is placed on the engine? or can anyone explain where it is? on which side of the engine is it? if you take off both side covers you see wheels and followers all over. I have listened very carefully to my engine speaking to me. The noise is definetly coming from the left hand side (driver side on UK car). More pronounced when I put my ear down there (taking care not to get a Tyson from the cambelt). Does this mean that my car is more likely to have piston slap than a problem with the tensioner. Remember that my dealer claim he already changed this but I have my doubts. Which one is cylinder 4. What is the configuration?

Claus
Old 23 March 2003, 02:45 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

well acording the the bloke who did my 60k service he seams to think its the lash adjusters

apaerntly its a heads off job so its staying as it is lol
Old 23 March 2003, 09:18 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Claus
The tensioner is behind the centre cover, and to remove this you will need to remove the crankshaft pulley and both left and right covers first. From your description my money's on slap.
I changed the tensioner on my 99my and it does seem to be quieter, the "deeper" sound I mentioned in an earlier post is less. Strangely, the original tensioner had a green spot but there were differences in design. Inspection of the original tensioner plunger showed impact wear where it contacts the hardened steel pin in the engine block, indicating movement has taken place.
Sticky - the heads do not need to be removed for adjustment of the valve clearances.
JohnD

[Edited by JohnD - 3/23/2003 9:22:15 PM]
Old 23 March 2003, 11:03 PM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

John

What you are saying about slap on my MY01 is regarded as a sin among the Subaru suits. According to them it doesenīt exist on the newer cars. But I will have to agree with you. Otherwise I donīt see any other explanation to the knocking my car has cos the dealer says he changed the tensioner. But since I had my doubts I just checked the bolts on the middle cover because I knew the mechanics already took off the side covers (coppergrease all over the bolts which I donīt think it would have from the factory). Well, first of all the bolts holding the mid cover were pretty loose and secondly they were also covered with coppergrease but not nearly as much as the bolts holding the side covers. Is it possible that bolts are greased with coppergrease on the assembly line in japan?

Claus