Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Going from SS Backbox and Magnex centre to full decat - noise boost? pops and bangs?

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2003, 08:23 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I love the sound that the SS backbox and magnex centre produce. Now I think its time to stick in a magnex downpipe - by how much will the noise levels increase? Obviously difficult to be accurate, but would it be mental?

Also, In my current (semi-decat) setup, should I get any pops and bangs? I've read in some archives that it is possible - but I haven't heard anything yet...

BTW, I have a MY99, Forge VTA DV, ITG Panel Filter
Old 27 February 2003, 10:15 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

I can't hear any pops and bangs with my setup over the booming PE backbox (SS downpipe, magnex centre, PE twin bb).

You'll hear the whine from the turbo spinning up from low revs, though if your backbox is noisy, it probably won't add much.
Old 27 February 2003, 11:07 AM
Mudchuka
Scooby Regular

I have tsl downpipe straight trough centre and magnex bb, noise did increase with downpipe plus nice pops and bangs when gear changing.Really sonds good when boosting hard ,my advice get it done now you won't rget it????
Old 28 February 2003, 05:11 PM
Bumpkin
Scooby Regular

just put a magnex downpipe on my 97... pops, bangs, awesome noise, much better pick up and INCREASED MPG.. the list is long and distinguished, like my johnson (free bag of jelly babies to anyone that knows which film thats from). Go do it, now. probably the only mod ive ever done that didnt disappoint even slightly.

still grinning, two weeks on.

B.
Old 02 March 2003, 11:53 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Best thing is to have a listen on someone else's car before you get it. I made a mistake of 'going for it / you know you want to...' -- only to take it off a few weeks later because the noise level (inside) was unbearable.
Old 03 March 2003, 12:43 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

I'm experimenting with sound proofing felt at the moment, may think about a resonated centre and if I really can't bear it any longer, a proper equal length downpipe does stop the drone, apparently (eg. maxim on '99-'00 cars).
Old 03 March 2003, 07:26 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i did the same with a full magnex, pops, bangs and overboost - this happened only after fitting downpipe

Trending Topics

Old 03 March 2003, 08:04 PM
ianeverettiosh
Scooby Newbie

IVE got tsl downpipe, its got a massive pipe from turbo, magnex decat centre and oval backbox. the downpipe went on last. the noise did increase notiably but it all comes out the back. Realy cool in a tunnel when gunning it. the power increase is a must . got to get through next mot but Im not gona worry yet. got a few pops and bangs think its the ecu adjusting when there is unburnt fuel in pipe
Old 04 March 2003, 11:30 AM
kev93wrx
Scooby Regular

TOP GUN in bar before the song is sung now wheres me jelly babies
Old 04 March 2003, 04:01 PM
Bumpkin
Scooby Regular

well done kev, but since its you ive eaten the jelly babies and posted the empty packet through your letterbox. you can happily have anything my wife has ever/ will ever cook though. that'll take the smile off your face (and the enamel off your toilet).

Ask this man about downpipes and their benefits: hes the daddy when it comes to DP's!

Hope to see you soon mate,
B.