Expereinces with Link and antilag

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2003, 02:30 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A quote from Jan Shim

"There's no doubting that Anti-Lag System (ALS) sounds really cool both but they are not road legal for one very good reason - braking power is greatly compromised due to ALS taking up most of the vacuum. We have quite a number of WRX and STi running ALS and there had been many near misses because they owners thought it was cool to show it off on the road but didn't realise the car nearly had no brakes.

Here's a pic of the PossumLink ALS aluminium "choke" adapter. This device is specially made to ensure the throttle butterfly valve is opened at around 30 TPS while the ALS chip does the rest of the fuel and ignition timing trickery. This cable runs to the throttle butterfly and goes to the spare slot to which Cruise Control is fitted.

Another downside to running ALS on extented periods is not only the turbocharger suffers damage from excessive heat, the entire gallery where the hot gases travel post turbo is affects too. ALS also damages exhaust manifolds and dump pipes. I have personally witness a JUN ex. manifold glowing red hot within just 30 seconds of activating ALS and this was from a cold engine!

To give you an example of the power to do damage from an ALS, we smoked two 450-hp Garretts in a very short time. But there's plenty of power to be had from ALS, it's simply breathtakingly. We had an STi 4 Type R running stock VF24 turbo and with ALS, the car spun all four wheels while the catless exhaust was spitting flames several foot long.

So yeah guys, if you have the money and itch to run ALS, it's FUN while it lasts, coz it never does!

Jan"

So with a Link ECU and the PossumLink ALS aluminium "choke" adapter, Anti lag could be set up relative easy, but the consequences could be high?

Deos anyone have the Link set up to use anti lag?
Mild use of anti lag seems to be an option, with not too much heat damage to the turbo.
The TD 05 is a tough turbo, but is it tough enough to handle ALS?
Old 19 February 2003, 06:23 PM
Ross Taylor
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm no techie, but a proper ALS will trash the exhaust as much as the turbo...

Combustion is supposed to take place within the bores - Not by spraying unburnt fuel into the exhaust system...By constantly injecting fuel (even off throttle) economy would be dreadful, as would emissions...?

I just can't see an advantage on running ALS on a road car, unless you're willing to replace the turbo/exhaust every couple of thousand miles...However I'm sure one of the real techies will formulate a more appropriate response...

Cheers,

Ross.
Old 19 February 2003, 07:04 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
depends how it's set to run really

Old 19 February 2003, 07:08 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going to run antilag on my new engine..

Its one of those thing that can be switched on and off.. so can work well.. especially with nitrous as well..

David
Old 19 February 2003, 07:49 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Talking

There was a good discusion about Antilag way back in March 2002 on the 22B BBS.

Antilag discussion on the 22B BBS

Did any of you guy's discussing it then, go on to using ALS on your car's?
Old 19 February 2003, 08:25 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Pavlo,

I'm thinking for street use, I should use the choke adapter in the cockpit to allow for better control of the ALS.
The choke adapter can be kept closed on idle to help with the idle problems, and then open it when needed for better antilag.

Has anyone any experience or know anyone using or has used ALS with the TD 05. What was the TD 05's life span, and at what intervals what the ALS used?

[Edited by Scoty - 2/19/2003 9:18:37 PM]
Old 19 February 2003, 10:13 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm no expert on installations, but...

As Pat pointed out on 22b you can use a vacuum pump for the brakes. Or if you plumb the servo in pre-turbo, you should get a vacuum on boost, possible T piece and one-way valve setup?

Or use a venturi with break off from high pressure side to pull a vacuum, again link with manifold using one way valves to get the most vacuum wherever it comes from.

Use a switched output on the ECU to switch a air bypass valve that feeds into the exhasust manifold, the supply of fresh air can cool the exhaust charge and help keep the turbo alive, not to mention help burn any remaining fuel.

I am exploring some alternatives to traditional ALS that will provide full boost, cool exhaust gas temps and a source of vacuum for the brakes. But that's going to be a long term thing, so please don't bother asking about it yet (I'm not the first to do it).

paul