Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Standard Breather System Pics Please.

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2003, 02:13 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi, if possible could someone post up some pics of the standard breather system including pipe work and positions of the breathers.

I've looked on search and found the rocker breathers but would like to see pics of the crank case breather in situ so I can check the lines for blockages.

If its not a blocked breather Im in big trouble as I'm getting too much crank case pressure and Its blown the Crank shaft oil seal out of its housing and against the pulley in front of it. This then took the front off the seal and hey presto - oil leak and new cam belt time!!

Got some good advice off line but looking for any suggestions at the minute.

I've checked the oil pump breather but not jammed open or shut.

The car is a Legacy turbo but that shouldnt make too much difference on this one.

Somebody help me pleeeaase.

100700 Miles, 15psi boost max, full d-cat & panel filter.

STE.W.

Edited by me cos its the crank shaft oil seal not crank case oil seal.

[Edited by STE.W. - 2/17/2003 2:15:37 PM]
Old 17 February 2003, 05:06 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Thumbs up

Just to add, if you don't have the pictures, a description of the locations would be cool.

Thanks
STE.W.
Old 17 February 2003, 05:31 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

If there was enough pressure in the crankcase to blow out an oil seal, then it would be blowing oil out the breathers, and into the intake system, and the car would be running badly, and burning serious amounts of oil.
There are 3 breather locations al of which re-circulate back into the inlet, just before the turbo, with a small PCV valve drawing in small amounts under vacuum, undernath the throttle plate, but I doubt they are blocked. The 2 on the rocker covers, and another between the turbo and the throttle plate, on the top of the block. Bit tricky to get at.
Old 18 February 2003, 08:31 AM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stevie, thanks yet again.

My father in law is addament the seal will be forced out again due to blow by.

I,m not using or losing any oil and the intake system has coating of oil in the bores but very minor misting thats all.

As youve already said, it should be running badly and it isnt so I'm going with your previuos advice and leaving the boost @ 15 PSI and put it down to bad luck and old seal wear.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

STE.W.