Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Legacy Exhausts??

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2003, 07:27 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Ok legacy dudes....who has put exhausts on their cars, and which ones are good?

I'm looking for a full system for my legacy, with a good downpipe to bring the turbo in early, nice horsepower/torque gains, a nice looking tailpipe, sensible amount of noise (the car IS a sleeper!) and for a non crazy price.

At the moment, the Hayward & Scott option is looking very very good....nice tailpipes, good sound, good power, but they aren't exactly dead cheap.

What have you guys been using....any recomendations?
Old 16 February 2003, 08:08 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Cool

If you've got an estate can I point you in this direction

Old 16 February 2003, 09:35 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Blitz, H+S, Mongoose all do exhausts for a legacy. An impreza system can be made to fit though if you are keen.

Blitz are bloody expensive, H+S are good, dont know the price. Mongoose are just OK and I suppose reasonably priced.
Id go for the H+S
Old 17 February 2003, 12:51 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Afraid it's a saloon, but I COULD be persuaded to take the H&S downpipe for £170.....but not until next payday.

What are you using StevieTurbo? Loud'un or quiet?

I am assuming that the estate has different centre section and backbox, cos otherwise £450 sounds like a pretty good deal to me?

Old 17 February 2003, 09:57 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
different backbox only, wheelbase is the same
Old 26 March 2003, 09:00 PM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Pavlo, I was told the center was different on the estate - but I believe you instead. So does that mean Impreza centers will fit on a Legacy estate??

Turbo_Steve, I've tried a full Mongoose and also Midland Impreza DP and Blitz back box. Both are loud - Blitz very loud! Mongoose is good VFM and toally decat. The tailpipe of the Mongoose is to long though and fitting is not the best thing in the world - pay for you get I suppose. Both Midland Impreza DP and the Mongoose are similar design and I don't think they're among the best. If I had to do it ll again I'd try to get an HKS open neck DP or a Turbo XS monster DP. I'm after a center section but with a high flow cat cos I don't want the MOT hassle every year. For cener and back I looked into the HKS route and there are two options which I don't remember very clearly but blew the idea out due to cost. Hope my limited info is of some help.
Old 26 March 2003, 09:22 PM
Scooby Regular

I think mine is a Mongoose, but not sure. It was given to me off another car, after a friend bought it and did not like it. It does also look quite similar to a PE T75 system.
Mine is an estate, and it is 3" turbo back, with 2 silencer boxes, and actually a lot quieter than I had expected.
On a friends car, we adapted an Impreza Magnex system to fit a saloon. It needed lengthened slightly ( about 6 inches I think ) both the centre hanger, and back box hangers re-positioned on the exhaust. It had 2 silencer boxes, and again is not too noisy.

It does appear that some cars are noiser than others, even with the same exhaust though. I can only assume the map has a lot to do with it. I know of a couple of std UK cars with 3" Blitz systems, and they are bloody loud ( read-unbearable ), yet heard others that are a lot quieter.

Trending Topics

Old 26 March 2003, 09:47 PM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

I can definitely second that about the Blitz - on idle it's sort of civil, accelerate and it really loud, decelerate and it's deafening! And that's with only the back box! Needless to say it just got worse after fitting a 3" (tapered to standard bore at join) DP! Do I even bother to imagine with a replacement center section as well?!! By comparison the 3" straight through (with center resonator) and 2 silencers Mongoose is civilised.
Old 26 March 2003, 10:46 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

I've got a Mongoose complete system. And I think it sounds just right!!

Just enough on tick over..... raising up to a nice roar!!! (But not overly loud....

...and it still maintains the deep note...... not like some of the skinny metal tailpipe i've heard on a few impreza's (Don't shoot me down please) (I know it's personal preference!!!)

92 saloon
Old 27 March 2003, 12:52 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Wink

I have a full H&S 2.5" system including 3" to 2.5" cat free downpipe.

On the estate it is louder due to the open boot but it can be deadend using the right materials etc.

Pavlo could show me up here but I tried to see if I could get a rezzed centre from an impreza to fit. When I offered my standard cat centre against a standard Impreza cat centre, the Legacy one is longer with a slight angle difference.

In my opinion the Impreza centre will not fit the estate at all.

The system is well built and easy to fit cos I fitted myself including the seized turbo/down pipe nuts and studs!!

If you can fit Impreza centres to the saloons then this would be a more cost effective option.

Hope this helps - probably not!

STE.W.

Old 27 March 2003, 05:42 PM
Scooby Regular

The wheelbase of the legacy saloon and estate is the same, and so is the centre section. The car is only longer after the rear axle.
The floor pan of both impreza and legacy is almost identical, but the legacy is slightly longer, and the centre exhaust hanger is in a slightly different place.
An impreza system can be made to fit, but will involve a bit of welding.
Seeing as there are a few systems available off the shelf for both legacy saloon and estate, it would be the easiest option, unless you are getting an impreza one cheap.
Old 27 March 2003, 11:25 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Cool

Amazing quality of feedback guys, thank you very very much.
After reading this, it seems the Blitz is a complete no-no (I like to hear myself think) and that the H&S is an excellent compromise (as I suspected) and that the mongoose is very good, if a little awkward to wrestle onto the car.

Ideally, I would like to keep at least one cat, or have an "easy change" system to get the cats in and out at MoT time. Given that the mongoose is an "off-the-shelf" product, and the H&S system is a little more bespoke, I am going to give them a call (pay them a visit?) and find out what they can do for me.

Once again...thank you for your awesome feedback.
Feel free to add any comments and opinions...It's all good.
Old 28 March 2003, 01:02 AM
Scooby Regular

The Mongoose uses ( crappy ) slide joints, so you will not easily be able to replace the cat should you ever need to.
It also makes fitting/removal a pain, and is bloody annoying.
As far as I know the H+S fit as per the original, making all sectins swappable with the original.
Old 28 March 2003, 07:03 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hello

I have a H&S downpipe which is very nice.

I also have a H&S "quiet" backbox, noise is quite alright at motorway cruise etc. Lagged downpipe would make it better I think, cut out the "noise" from the exhaust so you can hear the note better, if that makes sense.

I have a magnex decat centre waiting to go on, I only offered it up under the car but it looks the same from what i can see. THe largest differece by far is behind the rear axle. There may well have been changes at the '91 facelift of the Legacy (minor).

Mongoose is probably best bagn for buck if you're only interested in making a noise and gaining performance. H&S also now do centre silencers for an extra £110, more money, but at least you have the choice.

Also on the list is the HKS Super Dragger, unfortunately it's only 2.5" on the estate for some reason, 3" on the saloon, which is annoying to say the least. Supposed to be a quieter exhaust that say a Hyper, but I haven't heard one to comment.

Paul
Old 28 March 2003, 07:13 AM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Let us know how you get on.