Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Start engine, smoke then die!

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2003, 05:30 PM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Wonder if anyone can help - here's the story.
Car died on me one night - driving along (total civil mode - ie no boost) and then spluttered and conked out. Battery gone dead - no real prob dead alternator. Called AA - twiddled thumbs for ages and apologized to girlfriend extensively for the inconvenience. AA man came put his spare battery pack on, turn key, fires up and idles sweet as usual. OK - decide to put his battery pack onto front seat and run cables under bonnet to get home. Battery, cables and bonnet secure turn key - doesn't start. Ok - maybe his battery going bit flat too. Booster cables out and plug into his van - turn key, sort of starts, splutters, die. Now cold and late - agree to sod it and just tow home couple of miles.

Today, replaced alternator and battery. Turn key, starts, white smoke, engine runs 5 - 10 seconds then splutters and dies. Done all the variations - start, rev, still white smoke, stinks of petrol (and/or oil - not sure), splutter, die. Checked all fuses and even tried a different MAF but still the same. Checked water exansion tank - no sign of oil so don't think it's head gasket (should still run tho right?). Turbo surely can't have failed - besides, should still run right? - albeit with loadsa smoke.

I'm quite convinced that the problem isn't mechanical. It has to be something that happened when we were messing around trying to get the AA man's battery pack and cables secured so I could drive it home. What bothers me is the smoke. Could this a fuelling problem? Anyone have a similar experience? I am stumped and don't even know where to start debugging this one - not to mentioned being a bit miffed after spending pretty much the entire day freezing me fingers off! Would deeply appreciate any insight!
Old 16 February 2003, 05:36 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
I'd persue with your electrical troubles first if i was you.

Not being funny but are you sure the smoke you saw wasn't just condensation?, it's pretty cold at the mo and you might be worried about it running, putting two and two together and coming up with five.
Old 16 February 2003, 05:46 PM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Like you say - I'm not conveinced it wasn't just condensation. However, there was a LOT of it and it did pong a bit of of petrol/oil. That aside, even if the car does have soemthing mechanically wrong like a gasket - surely engine should still run. On the electrical side - I don't even know what else to look for. I checked with a meter that the alternator is defo chucking out charge. Fuses are good - dunno what else to do.... apart from call a mechanic. Any advice?
Old 16 February 2003, 06:06 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
All I can suggest is that you check you haven't disconnected or broken anything when you changed the alternator.

Was it running okay before apart from the alternator not charging?, almost sounds like a fuel prob as it runs then splutters and dies.

The fuel pumps over the starter motor way isn't it?, I'd check around there first, just a thought.

Other than that keep this post up til tommorrow when some of the others wake up and they might be able to help, there is prob someone on here who's had similar experience.
Old 16 February 2003, 06:15 PM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

thanks m8
Definitely running fine before alternator prob. I've checked, checked and checked for any loose connections but can't find any. I did suspect the fuel pump but didn't have a clue where it is or how to go abouts checking it. Can't do any work on it until next weekend anyway.

[Edited by NutterKam - 2/16/2003 6:18:12 PM]
Old 16 February 2003, 08:30 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

have you checked for check engine light history?

Connect the black connectors under the dash and turn the ignition on etc..?

Reset the ECU?

Unlikely.. check the crank position sensor.. between the pulleys on the front of the engine.. the cam sensor looks identical and is below the oil filler pipe area.. a few wires and a 10mm bolt holding it on.. check they are both connected correctly and remove them and clean.. doubt it as it would normally not start at all but worth looking at anyway.

Also the coolent sensor is near the alternator.. check you haven't disconnected that.. it could be starting thinking the engine is hot and finding it's not etc..

Check you dipstick for white from water in it and I think you said you had checked water for oil.. check the top of the oil filler as you get condensation or white sludge..

All I can think of at the minute..

Surely connecting two batteries would be 24volts? did he disconnect your battery when he connected his on the passenger seat?

JGM
Old 17 February 2003, 12:03 AM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two batteries would only have been 12 volts cos they are connected in parallel, would have to be in series to get 24 volts. That would be some odd wiring with the jump leads!!!!
Just some basic physics at a silly time a night. Hope you get it fixed soon!

Danny Boy.

Trending Topics

Old 17 February 2003, 07:00 AM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Thanks. I'll check those sensors as unlikely as it may be. Car's been without a battery for quite a few days - would it remember ecu error codes?
Old 23 February 2003, 12:22 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

No the error codes will be forgotten is battery disconnected for a while.. but if you try and start it and it does the same thing then there should be a fresh error code.

try going to here http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co.uk/ and downloading the diagnostics section.

Good luck

JGM