Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STI8 PPP

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2003, 04:13 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone know what this consists of yet? Is it the same kit as the STI7 or is it based on an EcuTek remap??

Darren
Old 08 February 2003, 08:45 PM
Simon Lines
Scooby Regular

Please note: -

EcuTek do NOT re-map or re-calibrate the PPP's. EcuTek supply the software that allows us and others to re-calibrate the std ECU.

Simon
Old 08 February 2003, 09:52 PM
Frenchie
Scooby Newbie

Simon, while you are here, what are the differences between PPP v.7 and v.8 ?

Are they interchangeable one way, both ways ?

I guess the PPP is not identical as you can go way further with the Ecutek soft from now...
Old 09 February 2003, 07:51 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Why bother with a PPP when you can get an ecu tek?

I dont understand this, more power much cheaper, more specific to your car, and undetectable (correct me if I am wrong) so no warranty issues so long as you keep your cards close to your chest.
Old 09 February 2003, 05:13 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

So what does it include exactly??
Old 09 February 2003, 09:56 PM
Frenchie
Scooby Newbie

Adam,

Somebody might correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know, the last data writing date is stored in STi v.7 & 8 ECU's... so it is detectable.
Old 10 February 2003, 12:12 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Adam, that's not cricket And a quick glance at the boost would give it away as a non-standard ECU.

Richard.
Old 10 February 2003, 09:32 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Adam,
Why bother with a PPP when you can get an ecu tek?
I dont understand this, more power much cheaper, more specific to your car, and undetectable (correct me if I am wrong) so no warranty issues so long as you keep your cards close to your chest.
If you want a reasonable amount of power and torque (300 of each ) safely, with no hassles, warranty friendly, fit and forget - I'm not certain you can beat the new PPP.

You say go for an Ecutek map but the new PPP is a Prodrive map using the EcuTek software. It's not just a Boost lift anymore but a full, integrated remap (but I'm sure you already know this! ) and I suspect that once the "old" STi 7 PPP's have been sold, the "new" STi 7 PPP will be a Prodrive EcuTek map....

Obviously, if you want to go further then EcuTek is the way forward (unless you are going much further and standalone ECUs are your thing) but I think for most people, a warrantied 300 of each for £2000 is not bad VFM

Matt
Old 10 February 2003, 09:47 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I've got an old style (piggyback?) PPP on my STi7.

Anyone know if I can get an ecutek remap on the PPP modded ECU? Will they have to first unmod the ecu or can they do a remap on the modded ECU? Will there be any significant benefit?

Cost of about £700 seems a lot for just software, how much of this is mapping time for my car or is it all to finance the development work?
Old 10 February 2003, 09:55 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Chelspeed

The PPP piggy back chip must be unmounted to do this, alternatively, you may be able to source a second ECU and sell your PPP one, re-couping quite a bit of the cost.

The price is split between research costs, Ecutek license fee and mapping costs.
Old 10 February 2003, 12:38 PM
Rich B
Scooby Regular

Does anybody think there would be any mileage in swapping an STI7 PPP ECU for a new ecutek'd 8 PPP ECU?

Surely its a better solution than the boost clamp method?

What benefits would it have?

Better spool up?
Better MPG (less rich?)

Cheers

RB
Old 10 February 2003, 01:35 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

so no warranty issues so long as you keep your cards close to your chest
Adam, I believe IM and Prodrive's lawyers would probably view this as fraud
Old 10 February 2003, 02:59 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

perhaps I should have written:

"the more dodgy among us could completely hide the fact that the ecutek is more of a stealth mod, but of course I would never advocate such behavior!"

thank goodness I am not a real lawyer, I could be struck off for such a suggestion.

I dont think it is anything to do with prodrive, more IM.

btw, there is caselaw which would exonerate me as an accessory to fraud, so I am not (too - ) worried!!
Old 11 February 2003, 09:10 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Pete. Can you unmount piggyback chip? Whats it likely to be worth bhp, torque, driveability wise?
Old 11 February 2003, 01:01 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Chelspeed

Yes we can, its just a bit of soldering to remove it the piggy back part.

Alternatively, if you find a buyer for it who has a standard STi7, we can swap the ECUs over and reprogramme the keys, at our workshop, then we would remap your (new) standard ECU.
Old 14 February 2003, 05:34 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pete

I do have a mate with an unmodified STi.... What would the benefit be of fitting a modded ECU in an otherwise standard STi7?

Presumably you could do a similar exhaust to the PPP one and with my modded ECU this should give PPP type performance at a fraction of the cost?

So again if you ecutek the now standard ECU from my mate, fit it to my car with the rest of the PPP fitted what improvement am I likely to see?
Old 15 February 2003, 09:45 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

Chelspeed, I need to understand why you're thinking of changing to a reprogrammed ECU, are you not happy with the STi7 PPP?

All the reports on here from STi7 PPP owners have all said how great it is. Is 300bhp not enough for you, or has the novelty worn off already?

IMHO you may be able to get a safe-ish 310-320bhp with good torque from the ECUTEC remap, but you'd need some sort of decat as well. There would be no warranty and at £700 for the remap, £700 for the exhaust, £250 for the guages to make sure it isn't going pop (inc fit & vat) then I can't see much advantage. I doubt if you'd feel much difference after a few days anyway and it certainly wouldn't blow away PPP cars on track either.

F

Old 15 February 2003, 09:50 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Question

....and why would your mate want to buy the PPP ECU if:

1. you're not happy with it?

2. he doesn't get the benefit of a warranty?

Did you try it before you bought it yourself?

F
Old 16 February 2003, 01:52 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, good point. I'm very happy with PPP it's made the STi7 truely awesome. But if 300's good then 320 is better!!! After all I thought I was happy with 240 in the PPP'd WRX until I drove the STi.

I got the impression that an ecutek version of PPP would be worth 320 and was wondering if that was true, trying to get Pete to quote some numbers.

Also got a sort of nagging concern about exactly how clever the piggyback chip in the STi7 PPP is. When it was the only option that was fine, it worked so well I pushed the concerns to the back of my mind and got on with it. Now I know there's a better alternative it seems daft not to explore whether I could use it. If I really do need another bit of exhaust for (another) decat then I'm not interested. I was also banking on no-one noticing the change so the warranty still being there....
Old 16 February 2003, 08:21 PM
Simon Lines
Scooby Regular

I'm sure no one will notice....

[Edited by Simon Lines - 2/16/2003 8:22:29 PM]
Old 21 February 2003, 08:53 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Question

I really doubt if you'd notice the extra 10-20HP. When you get to this sort of power level you need a lot more to feel a real difference.

Maybe Pete will swap your ECU for a test - try before you buy?

F
Old 24 February 2003, 03:55 PM
Frenchie
Scooby Newbie

Question

Considering the infamous std fuel pump was leaning out the 7's at hi rpm, I would expect PPP to deliver less horse power (if still running the same stochio target).

Old 24 February 2003, 04:45 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

LOL at Simon

Chelspeed
I'm not sure that the piggy back ecu would work very well with the standard exhaust as I haven't ever tested such a set up. Gut feeling is that it wouldn't work very well at all with the standard exhaust and would have all sorts of problems coping with the better spool up from our exhaust system.

The extra 20+bhp is definitely noticeable as is the much better performance off boost

Old 24 February 2003, 08:20 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> LOL at Simon

Ho hum, just noticed his From.... So likewise.

I guess losing the rest of the warranty is just another thing to factor into the is it worth it equation. It's only got about another 12 months to run anyway based on the miles I'm doing. For 20 hp alone I'd be inclined to say not worth it but I'll have to drive one and see if the off boost bit is worthwhile.

And Simon, thanks for taking part, despite dropping myself in it big time and despite the grief we give you and Mike on occasion I'm pleased to see you're enthusiastic enough to follow these lists.