Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

water ingestion-pod type filters-maf related

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2003, 02:31 PM
blachie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some times my car (MY00) would stop pulling violently under wot at approx. 0.5 to 0.7 bar.i visited subaru 2 times but they could not find anything...in particular the maf was inspected with the subaru diagnostic tool and was found perfect after 52000kms (the last 22000kms with an APEXI POWER INTAKE dry type pod filter)
anyway it did it again a week ago and i decided to inspect myself all the conections, hoses,etc and to my amazement i found that the filter was damp ,the maf assembly on the inside was very wet with markings of very dirty water that had evaporated...
i dried out the pod and all the intake pipes(lots of water everywere..)and the car seems to be fine now.
mind u that i had removed the stock resonator and the dirty water was getting thru the holes for it,from the right hand side wheel.also from further investigation i realised that lots of rain water hits the filter from the gap of the bonnet and the rhs front wing,that also occurs during washing of the car...

solutions:i taped ALL the holes of the inside of the rhs wing so now it is not getting any water from the wheel(very sticky 3m tape)
but i still have the problem of the rain water from the gap on top,and i m thinking about fitting some short of a small alu panel on top of the apexi to prevent water going there.

1.since u guys in england get heaps more rain than we do here in greece how do u adress the problem of water ingestion?
2.all the types of "cold air feed" pipes also feed water to the filter under heavy rain -highway driving think about it!
3.i hope that my maf will not die on me cause of all that water it ingested
4.maybe on the long list of things affecting the mafil,vibration,carbon deposits,we should add water?

your thoughts please!
Old 31 January 2003, 11:54 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Have a look here...

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=170977
Old 01 February 2003, 11:25 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I had the same problem, Especially with the Hks Mushroom type filter, Have now fitted a Blitz mesh filter & manufactured an alloy box around the filter, (looks quite neat when you lift the lid) Next job is to get some forced air in there, Was going to tackle it today, But guess what, Its P1ssing it down again.
Dean
Old 01 February 2003, 11:39 AM
blachie
Scooby Regular

Wink

yes i was gonna do the same thing today but its raining as well!
Old 04 February 2003, 01:47 PM
blachie
Scooby Regular

Angry

ok it is official
the maf has blown due to water ingestion,or should i say dirty water ingestion.
to be more accurate the cirquit of the maf APPEARS to be fine on the subaru diagnostic tool but the readings were all over the place ranging for idle from 0.9 to 1.8 volts all other things being constant.
it seems that the sensor was covered with a film of...mud and was reading crazy things.
we tried to clean it with pure alcohol but it was very dirty and it still had some water driping from inside,so the mechanic said f*** it its not worth the risc,so i installed a new one for 120euros(sensor only)
the car runs perfect now .