Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Switch for remap to standard ECU??

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2003, 11:51 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Hi all, I have in my possesion a scoobyecu module, I want to fit it so that I can switch between standard and new ECU via a switch wired in between the resistor that needs to be cut.

I know people on here have done this but my question is; what wire and switch did you use?

I've bought some 5amp wire and a normal automotive switch, but I'm wondering whether these are too big(Halfords style stuff)?

James
Old 18 January 2003, 08:38 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just very thin wire, bell wire would do fine, there is no current flowing really.

Thing to note, you need to reset ECU really if you switch back, it's not a "on the fly" sort of thing. Engine will run, but check lights can come on etc.

Paul
Old 18 January 2003, 10:00 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
cheers Paul, I fitted the module earlier, v nice, feels a lot stronger now. Don't have anything for my GTi-R do you?
Can't really have a proper play because one of my coil packs is knackered and has been causing a missfire thats got worse over the past weeks.

Was supposed to be getting a coil pack today (so I could enjoy your work) but for the third time of arranging to meet Phil(Barretts Motorsport)I couldn't get hold of him. The man is more illusive than white dog ****!

Anyone got a coil pack for me?

James
Old 19 January 2003, 08:10 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I normally either switch with Ignition Off, Idling (revs will rise then drop as it re-calibrates) OR if on the move with foot off the throttle.

ECU doesn't take long to re-learn. IMHO switching from Standard to Re-mapped is the same as doing a reset, as it takes in all the new parameters of the map.
Old 19 January 2003, 08:58 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on the different years. When switching without reseting on mine, I used to get some spurious engine check lights. Although that could have been caused be changing when running.

I know there are some changes in the software over the years, which may mean different memory addresses are used for certain things, or maybe not?

However, the engine always ran seemingly normal no matter what I did.

Old 19 January 2003, 09:45 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been trying to get info on buying one of these. After a stage 2 WRX version, Scott. Please mail me.