Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Knocklink in Laymans Terms

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2003, 10:47 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep hearing about this device. What exactly does it do, what will it warn me about? How much is one fitted? Is it worth it on an MY00 UK Turbo?

Simon.
Old 18 January 2003, 02:52 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simon,

It simply detects the amount of knock aka Detonation (Det)/Pinking. Sounds like pins rattling around in a metal can apparently, although I've never heard it myself.

What is that?

It's a form of abnormal combustion that can cause engine damage. It occurs when a combination of too much heat and pressure exceed the octane rating of the fuel. The fuel ignites spontaneously and explosively, causing a sudden rise in cylinder pressure that produces a metallic pinging or knocking sound (like a marble in a tin can). Detonation can be caused by excess spark advance, low-octane fuel, lean air/fuel mixtures, and/or overheating. Carbon buildup inside the combustion chambers and on the piston face can also increase compression sufficiently to cause detonation. Mild detonation is not harmful, but heavy detonation can damage valves, pistons, rings and rod bearings. It can also cause elevated HC emissions. Detonation can be caused by over advanced timing, a lean fuel mixture, overheated engine or faulty knock sensor.
Is it worth fitting?

Yes. John Banks thinks they should be fitted to any Impreza modded or not. Given the amount of data he's seen running Delta Dash, I'd take his advice.

AFAIK, Scoobymania are the cheapest at £130 inc. the display and sensor (more reliable and accurate than the OEM one).

So, if you went for a blast and it lit up like a Xmas tree, it would tell you to back off immediately. If you didn't have it fitted, you'd crack on not knowing your potentially damaging the engine.

The ECU does knock correction, so why doesn't that simply take care of things for you?

Don't know. Perhaps someone more experienced would tell us.

Stefan
Old 18 January 2003, 03:06 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The ECU misses some detonation in some circumstances. In particular over about 5500 RPM it doesn't seem to listen.
Old 18 January 2003, 08:25 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Thx lads. Sounds like something for the shopping list. Whereabouts do people normally fit the display and does anyone have any pictures of it fitted?
Old 19 January 2003, 05:15 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Anyone got pics?
Old 20 January 2003, 12:22 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Some people have modded the link and installed the LED's in a smaller housing:-

Here's some pics of the original units:-

Whereever you choose to fit it, just make sure it's in your line of sight. It's no good flashing away down near the gear lever when you're concentrating on the road ahead.

Stefan
Old 20 January 2003, 08:27 AM
P130J
Scooby Regular

Question

As I have the electrical abilities of a 2 year old (I can just about stick a fork in an electrical socket and give myself a shock) where would I go to get one of those Knocklink conversions done?
I've thought about getting a KL in the past but have been put off by the big Link box it comes in (looks a bit crap really). Those LED conversions look very good, especially the ones by the speedo etc. Are they professional jobs or a bit of quality DIY?