Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

TD04L - John Banks.... if you're there......

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2003, 04:16 PM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

John,

I want to pick your brains if I may - after reading a very recent post regarding intercooler vs different turbo on an RB5..... was thinking of upgrading one or the other myself (on an RB5 WR)but....
I'm assuming the recommended route would be to a front entry TD05.
My car is currently fully decatted, with PPP and induction kit. Without any additional boost control , the boost is just over 1 bar held.....now the scene is set....

With a new turbo, can it be "bolted in" and left alone for a while (limited budget!!!) or does it immediately have knock-on requirements - ie. re-map, boost controller etc?

Would you expect the boost to remain at the same level, but the cooler charge temperature increase performance?

Can the PPP ecu be tinkered with by an ECU Jedi such as yourself?

If I wasn't prepared to chuck thousands of pounds at it, is it worth losing spool-up speed for a lower charge temperature?

What sort of cost would I be looking at, and being moderately handy with a spanner, is it a DIY job?

And finally, am I a complete pain in the **** :-) ?

Many thanks in advance - this would just about complete my understanding of the tuning basics!
Old 17 January 2003, 04:23 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife is kicking my butt to do the hoovering then I'll reply LOL.
Old 17 January 2003, 04:31 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Smile

he should be about done.

he has modded his hoover to suck 60% harder than standard
Old 17 January 2003, 04:34 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

LOL at T-UK, maybe John has watched too many "home improvement" programs.
Old 17 January 2003, 04:39 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

You could just fit a bigger turbo and go back to a standard MY99 (AE800 or 801) ECU with a Dawes and HKS fuel cut defender. You would also need a knocklink and AFR gauge.

Alternatively you could remap the original ECU - whilst the PPP ECU can be remapped, it is better to sell it and remap an AE802 MY00 ECU as they are cheap. End result is the same whatever ECU you start with.

Would recommend against using the PPP ECU with a big turbo, from logs I saw on a car it was pulling out a heck of a lot of timing (4 or 5 degrees) as the PPP ECU was running too much ignition advance.

Although a bigger turbo causes less back pressure and a cooler charge at the same boost, to take advantage of it you often end up running a decent amount of boost.

Then you really benefit from a remap as you can tailor the fuel and ignition curves to what is required for the big turbo.

There is a vast choice of turbos for Subarus now which bolt on - choices of VF22 to 35 with most numbers in between, with hybrid VFs, or TD04 hybrids, or older TD05s converted to front entry. These between then cover the range from 280 to over 400 BHP. Mark Aigin at Lateral Performance can discuss your requirements with you with regards to a suitable turbo.

BTW the hoover has just thrown a big end, out with the screwdriver.... seriously the connection has come off the motor must get a new one, Argos "Goblin" crap when we got married 5 years ago Sorry too much information. I am not married to the hoover BTW, my house is small and the hoover is good when it works, could do with more pressure though

[Edited by john banks - 1/17/2003 4:45:00 PM]
Old 17 January 2003, 04:50 PM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Many thanks John!

Good luck with the hoover.........

Think I'll need to save a bit of cash up to do something REALLY worthwhile with the turbo......
Old 17 January 2003, 04:54 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Can you fit a Dawes to an Argos goblin?
Old 17 January 2003, 05:01 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I wish, but you can solder the $&%"%£^ together again, works now Now why can't I do that with an engine