Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

i drove av evo6.5 tommy makinen today...

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2003, 02:28 PM
blachie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

yesterday i took for a spin a completely stock evo 6.5 (280bhp)and i was amazed to find out that it was not a lot faster than my my00 gt!
that evo has the titanium blade turbo which spools up very fast and holds 1.3-1.4bar.also it has a very closed ratio 5speed gearbox,and it revs freely all the way to 7600rpm.
i thought it would be a LOT faster than mine but it felt only a little bit faster(?).
the brakes were sensational 4pot brembos/2pot brembos rear.
i did not push it very hard during turning,but the suspention and overall feeling of the car was better than mine throughtout.downside was the VERY hard suspention that did not seem to like greek roads(...)at all.
my car has std td04l holds 1bar to 6500rpm (1.15overboost)an apexi intake that helps a lot in the spoolup department with no afm issues,and the usual samco piping .plus a trust power evo II complete exhaust decated.
i m still amazed that the evo was or felt i should say only a bit faster than mine,i was expecting it to be a lot faster...
the owner of the evo had a gt my98 which he sold to buy the evo.
then he drove my car and he was amazed to find it so quick,he could not believe that with only an exhaust and intake the impreza's engine is so much better than stock...he told me that his gt was a lot laggier and slower even with a ppp ecu!?
i m so happy now,i only wish the understeer -the evo does not know that word-will somehow dissappear!
your comments please
Old 14 January 2003, 03:54 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

Hello there, I'm from Belgium, over here I drive a MY2000 gt, with unichip, full scorpion, original air filter (problems with MAF sensor), my car makes now about 250bhp, and 360 nm couple.

There is here in the neighbourhood a Mitsubishi Dealer who has an EVO7, full spec. (very difficult to import in Belgium), last week we did a compairason test between our cars, for acc. and driving on open roads it's not that much difference, but once he start to take tricky corners, it's like I'm driving backwards, the roadholding of the EVO7 is so much better than of my gt.

It's all in the active YAW control and diff's, but I'm shure if I install other diff's on my car (like quaife or so) I would be able to follow him.

PS how is the weather there, it's f*c*ing cold here, the only good point about that is the better performance of my car.

Cheers, Wally
Old 14 January 2003, 06:43 PM
blachie
Scooby Regular

Cool

Same here mate cold cold cold,even for greek standarts...its 8 degrees outside
i fully agree with you about the roadholding ability of any evo compared to the gt...that awfull understeering cannot get rid of it!
Old 14 January 2003, 06:50 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

Of course there is always the -out of balance- trick, I will perform that only on a corner that I know REALLY well.
Approach the corner, steering against-into-against, while at the same time braking, it unsettles your car and you start to oversteer, the degree of it depends on how much speed you had and the sort of underground.
Then take the corner and steer mostly with the gas, BE CAREFUL, don't try this on a narrow road with barriers or so, you could end up in real damage here.
I learn't it on a sort of gravel field here, happy fun there...