Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Adjustable diff on type-r

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 11:41 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

It isn't snowing here, however, now and again I can see ice on the roads. Should I adjust my diff when I go over the ice I can see? Should I change the diff to a different setting since I know ice is on the road, and drive around with it on?

At the moment, I drive with it all the way back, when it is dry, when it is slight rain, notch it up one, and when it is heavy rain, notch it up again.

but I am not sure what to drive it with on ice or if I see ice infront.

thanks.
Old 09 January 2003, 11:47 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christian Email John Felstead.

Are you going to reply to my message on 22b.bbs?

Steven
Old 09 January 2003, 11:48 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

if you were on patchy ice, you could consider locking it all the way forward.

If you drive on sheet ice, there isnt much poitn driving, diff lock or not as you wont have any grip.

The with it unlocked in non lsd mode, it will allow the rear wheels to spin relative to the front ones, so if there is a significant difference in grip between the front and rear tyres you would be better off notching it quite a way if not all the way forward. Johns previous posts have dispelled the yth that you cant drive properly with it locked on dry tarmac, it may make noises but this is normal. think it is made for low grip surfaces so if you dont use it now, there is little point in having it.
Old 09 January 2003, 02:24 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

do you have a link to johns post?

steven, is that the reply to the one about accomodation? just noticed it - emailing you know.
Old 09 January 2003, 03:30 PM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

I know people say it will make a bit of noise...but mine sounds like I'm dragging a set of spanners under the car when it is fully locked!!

You can really feel the difference when driving on ice or snow when you move the diff. lock. One question, is it Ok to reverse with the diff. locked as this is when it really makes a noise?

Dom.
Old 09 January 2003, 03:58 PM
Type-R
Scooby Regular

Strange, I experince the problems with noise.

I stop and change the diff lock setting all the way back and reversing is when it nakes noise as well. Assuming this is normal,
when should it moved forward 1 notch - as it rain it still appears to make the noise.

I never move it more than two notches forward and it does alter driving i personally feel anyawy !!
Old 09 January 2003, 04:48 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

when you turn I find it makes like a clunk clunk noise ?

Trending Topics

Old 09 January 2003, 10:13 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Gixerman, edit my post and you will see how

Clickable
Old 10 January 2003, 09:15 AM
Type-R
Scooby Regular

When I also turn I hear the clunking noise or if I park in my drive which is inclined, anyone know why it makes the noise ??
Old 10 January 2003, 02:11 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah,

Mine makes noise too. It is working correctly when it does this as the diff is trying to lock. When you are driving at speed you will not notice it as the bends are less tight. Two options.

Turn it full back, just before you move, or pull up the handbrake slightly until the light comes on. The second option turns off the diff.

The more I have the car, the more I have wound up the diff in heavy rain and during the snow had it just below fully locked. I have also used the full lock to get up the sloped drive to my garage on tuesday. Mine was the only car in the street that managed it
Old 11 January 2003, 06:56 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

basically, the slower you go, the less diff lock you want in there, unless you are using the diff to drag you through mud, gravel or snow.

If you think about it and experiment it will become quite clear. You dont want to be doing slow manouvers like parking with the diff locked, you want it open. As you start to pick up speed the natural slip in the tyres removes the mechanical shock loadings you are feeling.

I tend to reduce the lock as i am slowing down for tight manouvers, you should be able to feel the loads building in the steering and balance the lock ratio based on that feel.

There seems to be a misconception from a post above that you have to stop to make an adjustment. Thats not the case, best way to do this is increase the lock as you increase the speed, it is totally analogue, so play with it and you will get a feel for what works best. I vary the lock constantly as road conditions change, it's dead easy once you practice and becomes second nature.

Reversing etc, just leave it diff open unless you get into a low traction issue such as in snow.

When you come to trafic lights, put the handbrake on. This unlocks the diff and stops you sitting there with the gearbox all bound up, when you drive off and remove the handbrake the diff setting goes back to the lock ratio you have already set.

I expect the new DCCD-A will have a map in it that drops the diff lock as speed drops, so people dont ever feel the juddering. I do the same thing myself automatically. I dont drive around at 10MPH into a carpark with the diff locked up.

Using this diff properly isnt black and white, which is why for years people have been scared to death of experimenting. If you do it right you will only get a rare ocurance of juddering and you should aim at avoiding that. The only time i get it now is when i have a wheel off teh ground in a tight chicane and the diffs are spinning up to lock.

One thing you may also need to consider is you should get the gearbox oil changed every 12,000 miles or so if you are making use of this diff.
Old 01 September 2003, 05:54 PM
Gixerman
Scooby Regular

Here's the link....

Clickable

...Sorry don't know how to make it clickable..Ha Ha..Do now, cheers
P20SPD

[Edited by Gixerman - 1/9/2003 5:55:03 PM]

[Edited by Gixerman - 1/10/2003 8:59:14 AM]

[Edited by Gixerman - 1/10/2003 9:00:52 AM]
Old 22 January 2004, 07:12 PM
torment
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Whilst on the subject....My DCCD switch has gone awol....Dont suppose any of you guys have one for sale please.....?.
Kev.
Old 22 January 2004, 07:28 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

I have also used the full lock to get up the sloped drive to my garage on tuesday. Mine was the only car in the street that managed it
Did you invite the whole street to try and get in your drive?