Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Grova chip

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2002, 12:32 PM
Mark E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im running a Prova chip in my MY95 WRX (import), its put my psi up to 16.42 according to Scott.T

Scott.T would be the person to ask, as he has taken a copy of the Map info

[Edited by Mark E - 12/4/2002 12:48:07 PM]
Old 12 August 2002, 10:29 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The standard ECU has a spare loaction on the main board within the box. This spare location can be fitted with a chip or a chip/adaptor. To run from this chip the 'J1' resitor on the board is cut, thus allowing the ECU to read the maps from the additional chip.

The PROVA map that I have seen was fitted to this spare loaction on a PROVA labelled adaptor board. You may well find that if you take the lid of yours that it has a board fitted in the bottom right corner (with main connector on the left).

Some ECU's come with a 28-pin socket already fitted at the spare loaction so that a 27C1028 chip can be plugged straight in. However, these chips soon became obsolete so the likes of PROVA (and myself) use an adaptor, which plugs into the same loaction but uses a number of chips to emulate the 27C1028.

If you are only running about 1 BAR I suspect that is because it is a 93/94WRX, as it appears that the ECU in the 93/94 cars is more prone to hitting fuel-cut than that fitted in the 95/96 cars (as I have found out over the last few months).

The PROVA map that I have seen in a 95WRX and runs just over 1.1BAR, and as mentioned before is a tweeked WRX95 map.

The ECU would be reprogrammable, but not in the same manner as say a LINK of ECUTEK. You would have to remove the chip and reprogramme it on a device programmer.

[Edited by Scott.T - 12/8/2002 10:31:37 PM]
Old 04 December 2002, 06:44 AM
Frank Teeuwen
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi All,

I have been offered a "Grova" chip from Japan and have following questions:

1) Has anybody heard of it and/or has used it
2) How does it work
3) Will it greatly increase the wear and tear of the engine
4) How much extra HP can I expect

Tnks

Frank Teeuwen
EJ20 MY96
Old 04 December 2002, 07:36 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Are you sure it isn't a 'Prova' chip?

Andrew...
Old 04 December 2002, 11:03 AM
Frank Teeuwen
Scooby Regular

Ok, let's assume it's a Prova chip, what kind of improvement would that be?

Frank
Old 04 December 2002, 12:03 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Prova are a Japanese tuning company, they did sell replacement/upgraded ROMs for the early WRXs which fit to the spare ROM socket on your ECU.

As for performance, I don't know if they are all the same or if there are multiple maps available. It will also depend on what other modifications you have made to your car.

Andrew...

Old 08 December 2002, 09:34 AM
Frank Bangkok
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

So I tried the Prova chip yesterday but didn't feel any difference so asked them to remove it again also because it took longer to get the car started, will now take a full decat exhaust first...
Old 08 December 2002, 10:09 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

MarkE has a PROVA chip and it is fitted to an adaptor board which had PROVA02 written on it.

It is basically a WRX95 map (Marks car is a 95WRX with a Z4 ECU) increased from 12.7psi to 16.42psi, with a few subtle timing and fueling tweeks. It runs about 3 degrees more advance and uses a different boost duty cycle (but not a very good one).

If you felt no difference then maybe they forgot to cut the 'J1' link, as this it what tells the ECU to use the chip instead of the on-board maps.

Or it may not be as radical as the one in Marks car. Was it a single chip... if so those devices are like rocking horse s-h-i-t-e hence why the PROVA02 and the version I sell are using an adaptor board.

[Edited by Scott.T - 12/8/2002 10:21:31 PM]
Old 08 December 2002, 10:21 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

hi scott,

ive just noticed that ive got a pro-va chip in my 94 wrx and was looking at gtting some work done on the car on a rolling road soon on the fuelling etc. they tell me that your the man to ask about such things so can you tell me something about the operational parameters/ differences in settings between this and the standard ecu (boost, fuel rates etc, also is it programmable, and are they any cop?). also, as far as it being a 'add on' type, which connects to a spare port, and allows the car to ignore the stock ecu, i dont think thats what ive got, i certainly cant see another ecu somewhere nearby. perhaps i muisunderstood. my ecu is on the prova website for the 94-96 (i think) impreza and is called something like the super-racer ecu. sorry for the stupid qu's, but this really isnt my area of expertice. Now television on the other hand....

anything you could tell me would be really appreciated, after all forewarned is forearmed.

thanks scott,
matt.
Old 10 December 2002, 04:39 PM
Frank Bangkok
Scooby Newbie

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the input, I am new to ECU's and chips but what they showed me was metal box and once opened there was a piggy bag chip on top of a standard chip, green color like te rest of the box's contents instead of the red I have seen on one of the pages here

How can I check whether they also use an adaptor?

Could well be that they forgot to disconnect the J1 link.

Will check again next time I go there, any suggestions what to look for so that we know we are talking about the same thing.

Bit worried anyhow as understand that '96 cars more difficult to play around with ECU's.

Thanks!

Frank
Old 10 December 2002, 05:07 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Adaptor is the piggy back board plugged into a 28-pin chip socket.
As you say may weel be that J1 is still connected