Cold Air Feed to Induction Kits??

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2002, 06:05 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been asked already - apologies if it has. Who with an induction kit, has isolated/sheilded it from the heat under the bonnet and run a cold air feed direct to it?

I am interested to know how much difference (if any) it made to your car's performance. Please give details of your car, other mods, where you ran the feed from and if there was a noteable difference in performance.

Thanks,

Kevin

PS. Any pics would be of use too, thanks!

[Edited by K9VYN [Kevin W] - 12/3/2002 6:18:10 AM]
Old 03 December 2002, 11:44 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Hi Kevin,

Hows this: http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=114950

Not a huge improvement though it might be me but thought the throttle response was a bit better in the hotter air, but only really above say 40mph. Haven't got round to a heat sheild yet.

Cheers
Neil.
Old 03 December 2002, 11:44 AM
highlander
Scooby Regular

Kevin, I haven't done what you describe but am in the process of fitting the K&N 57i kit to my 94MY WRX.
(That is when I get the correct MAS adapter thru the post - wrong one was in the box)

I was advised that all these kits be it K&N, Blitz, HKS all do the same job allthough some look better than others. As I don't give a monkey's if the engine compartment looks pretty or not went for the K&N. I have removed the standard air filter assemby and found an air feed that comes from inside the RH Wing of the car - I wonder if this is direct cold air - if so it will be blowing directly onto the the new filter (in addition to the cold air feed pipe supplied with the kit.

Will be interesting to compare notes on how we get on.

Ken
Old 03 December 2002, 12:46 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

A guy in the states fitted one of my mini bonnet scoops and claimed a 0.1 second improvement in his quarter mile times. Never done any measurement myself, so cannot really comment
Old 03 December 2002, 12:58 PM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I will follow the identified thread.

Highlander,

That is the resonator box (or at least the feed to,via it). I had found an article on the Net that suggests that is the best/a good place to duct cold air from. I will enclose the link if I manage to find it again.

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 03 December 2002, 10:54 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

i have run a cold air feed that i made up myself from under the front splitter. it makes quite a big difference if you ask me, couldnt put in bhp terms, but its certainly noticeable. i got the scoop from the injector cooling housing off an audi 5 cyl at a breakers and used old hoover pipe ducted up and under and faced straight onto the filter so that there is no loss of air. sounds great too. thouroughly recomended, especially since the total cost was about 4 quid. also, its worth running some hose from the wing side air feed, it all adds up in the end however slight the bonuses are individually. am almost definitley going to get a mini scoop jobby for the vent above the filter too. with luck this'll add more intake again.

also, made up a heat shield, cos now i have switched from the pipercross induction to a blitz its position at the front of the bay meant it was getting treated to a lot more hot air than before, and it did feel noticeably slower. added the heat sheild, and hey presto, the speed piled back on again. again, total cost, about 5 notes.

nice, satisfying cheap mods, that even a lummox like me can undertake. go do it. now.

best wishes,
arkwright mcscrooge.
Old 04 December 2002, 07:59 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Matt,

Nice one, thanks for the added inspiration. I'll probably source some piping etc this weekend. I think I might try encasing the whole cone with a custom heatsheild so there is no chance of hot air being drawn in at all.

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 04 December 2002, 11:47 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

sounds like a good plan. be aware though if you encase it too much with a heat shield, that youre restricting air flow toward it, and therefore reducing its effectiveness probably back down to the level of the standard air box. sorry if that stating the bleeding obvious. the smoothed out 'l' shape that most of the guys on here use seems to do the trick, and its pretty much what i did, albeit with a few more whistles and bells (well, it is nearly xmas). as memory serves, one of the boys posted a picture of theyre heat shield on a thread i had running last weekend: dunno how to link to it directly, but do a search on 'blitz filter thats supposed to suck', and youll soon find it.

also i would thouroughly recommend dispensing with the black plastic swell chamber type device that comes after the elbow bend that joins the MAF. ive got a metal sleeve form a pipercross unit that ive engineered to combine with and work with a blitz filter and this really makes a huge difference, though im not sure why? reduced air pressure round the swell pot thingy maybe? anyway i tried it last weekend with the orig. item and the results were poor, then i reconfigured the layout using the metal elbow, and the results were amazing. go figure. again, you can buy these sleeves and theres a picture of one in the same thread as above, and somebody was asking about where to get them from in a thread that is currently running in drivetrain titled which induction kit? or something like that.

good luck matey.
matt.
Old 04 December 2002, 04:18 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

I repeat:
I like your thinking but....

....all this effort for 2 degrees!!!

I nearly went down this route until I actually measured the temp differences.

My conclusion was that the best gains were from filtration and flow rate mods (and even then these gains weren't huge).

Of course when you feel the air around you air box it will feel hot, that's because you are stationary. At anything more than 10mph though and all that hot air will be replaced by the cold air from the front of the car. There will be some warming from the engine and that's where the extra 2 degrees over ambient comes from.

Subaru try to do a cold air feed themselves with that collector behind the headlamp. They are also very carefull to avoid intake of water. What they are not so good at is flow and filtration IMHO.

This mod is good if you've not got anything else better to do IMHO.

F
Old 04 December 2002, 05:43 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

kevin,

Did you see you are in redline magazine this month...!!!

Dan
Old 04 December 2002, 08:38 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

correction: this mod is good if youve got nothing better to do, OR if your wife is the worlds biggest nag and youve made a relatively comfy life for yourself outside in the garage. besides, it beats being updated on whats going on in eastenders, whatever the f*ck that is. look out shes coming back.

as memory serves from my engineering classes, 2 degrees IS important: im fairly sure the relationship is that for every one degree the intake temp rises you loose one horsepower. however, as always, im happy to be wrong. and often am.

in my humble opinion its worth doing, if only because its do-able and satisfyingly easy to achieve. ive done mods that were fifty times as expensive, fifty times harder to do, and not half as effective. in that respect, its hard to beat.

matt.

matt.
Old 05 December 2002, 07:51 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dan,

Yes I have noticed - bought a copy. Gaz#73 posted a thread when it came out.

Floyd/Matt,

Interesting discussion, far more technical than my poorish understanding of things. In simpletons terms.. I found the car much quicker and more responsive last night/this morning (seemingly more powerful) than on Tuesday, but then the outside temperature is/was quite a bit lower IMO (had to scrape frost off it before I left for work).

If the majority of the heat is towards the front of the engine bay(??) I can build a cone shaped surround with frontal and side cold air feeds to the filter leaving the rear of it open (and a cut out in the top under my bonnet intake) so as not to restrict things too much. Re the swirl pot mod, I will read the threads you advise but, may leave that alone.

Thanks again for all your advice/opinions.

Kev

PS. 2 degrees may be more beneficial to my car with its current mods than say a standard car with no mods. I obviously have the induction kit, but also a full decat system, full engine rebuild (blueprint), fsi, 16.5 - 19psi (peak) remap. With that in mind, perhaps the minimal gain in air temperature reduction is a greater gain in on the road performance?

[Edited by K9VYN [Kevin W] - 12/5/2002 8:24:52 AM]
Old 05 December 2002, 09:31 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

I think this was the last mod made to the car - fitted K&N airfilter, de-catted exhaust, Link ECU; only thing left to do was to get more dense air into the system to burn more fuel.

The suggestion was to take the air intake from the front wing, which was done.

Basically, it seems to give the car that extra 'oomph' that is usually only experienced when the engine hasn't warmed up and the weather is cold.

A cheap, effective mod.
Old 05 December 2002, 11:28 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Guys,

Instead of trying to shield the filter from heat and/or feed cold air to it, why not just move it to where the air is cooler as a certain Mr Done has shown us here.

Andrew...