dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[Edited by dhorwich - 12/3/2002 1:38:44 PM]
Old 12 March 2002, 05:43 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Matt, I think Moray in his own nice way is saying that most of us never heard about a 4 inch system on an Impreza.

Most of them are either 2.5 inch or 3 inch.

[Edited by EvilBevel - 12/3/2002 5:45:12 PM]
Old 02 December 2002, 07:45 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

so, erm. here goes. i have a 94 wrx that has a full 4" decatted system and a dawes (with an afr fitted too), and i have just this weekend fitted a blitz sus induction kit. the reason i mention all these things, especially the dawes is that, well... how would i know if id melted a piston? the engine seems to be fractionally (ie not much) more rattly since i put on the blitz, and i was wondering if i had damaged the car by running too lean, and therefore melted a piston or whatever horrors happen with an engine running lean... i cannot stress enough that my afr says that im fine, mostly blue occasionally green and never yellow, and that im only running 1 bar of boost and really dont drive that hard all that much, but i am aware that monitors such as the afr etc are only as good as their source, so if my lambda wasnt much cop, then my readings would be equally inaccurate. so, is the melting of a psiton (or whatever)a gradual degradation thing, or does the engine just go bang and refuse to run. the noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine, in front of the intercooler, though i realise that most noises sound a bit like they are coming from there. d'oh.

i have NO engine warning codes (though, again im aware this doesnt mean theres nothing to warn about) plenty of oil, and coolant, no sludge under the filler cap, and the car is not running any differently at all... so am i a) just being super paranoid, and having heard a new noise amplified into something huge in my head b)is it the noise of something bad on the way and i should do something about it now c) just a noise that the blitz has allowed to be heard more easily (seems unlikely since i had a pipercross induction kit on preveious and i cant imagine theyre that different) or d) other.

sorry to go on, but i am keen to get ideas of troubles pending now, rather than wait till its much too late and im crying by the roadside.

anything anyone could suggest from experience etc would be appreciated.

matt.
Old 02 December 2002, 07:57 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

It will probably just be tappet noise my MY95 WRX is the same... i also have a blitz SUS induction kit.... I also have an AFR gauge which never runs lean... so stop worrying.... If you where really concerned you could refit the old filter/air box and see if it makes a difference...!

Dan
Old 02 December 2002, 08:35 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

if i were to have hazarded a guess i would have suggseted tappet noise, but i didnt want to say so out loud as i feared everyone telling me scoobs dont have tappets and that im a dumbass(which is true, i wont deny). my audi used to sound tappety bit it had done about 4 squillion miles.

so why is my engine tappety now? is this bad?

thanks for your reply matey.
matt
Old 02 December 2002, 08:42 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

I would love to know too...!!! i think the type of oil you use can contribute to it..

good oil for the scoob are as follows:

Mobil 1 15/50
Motul 15/50
Castrol RS 10/60

Dan
Old 03 December 2002, 02:21 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Matt B,

I am curious about your full 4" decat system... who makes that then?

Moray
Old 03 December 2002, 03:19 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

its the system that was on the car when i imported it, and on the NUMBER of occasions i have been underneath it i think i remember it saying something like fujitsu-corp or fujitsu-rama or something similar. the fujitsu at the start of the name makes me think its some subaru own branded part. and yes it is indeed 4" from front to back, straight through. great noise, just right not too loud or too quiet, though im not sure its ideal for back pressure etc. perhaps someone has an opinion?

its nearly new and i was thinking about trying a new system thats smaller so if you interested in it, drop me a line.

also, i use magnitec castrol oil and i cahnage it every 1500 miles or 6 weeks whivchever comes first. is magnatec not recommended then?

thanks for all the mails boys.
matt.
Old 03 December 2002, 05:39 PM
Flyboy-F33
Scooby Regular

Your car has hydraulic tappets, which are self adjusting (full of oil)unless its an STi in which case it has solid lifters. You would certainly know if you had melted a piston as it would only be running on 3 cylinders. What sort of mileage has it done?
Old 03 December 2002, 05:46 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Mine is only 8". Boy you guys have small pipes..
Old 03 December 2002, 06:28 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic
Lightbulb

Fujitsubo

kev
Old 03 December 2002, 08:54 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

yeah, i know i know.figured that much out myself, but was being cautious of biting the hand that feeds me: as an official newbie didnae wanna **** anybody off. yet.

but the gloves are off now. so to open, you lot with youre pathetic 2 1/2 inches are all girls. there, get out of that one rommel. plus, im taller.

bring it on pansies.

matt.
p.s the cars done about 78 km, and am happy to post pics of the exhaust for all of you non-believers, with your immasculated diameters.
Old 03 December 2002, 09:10 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

ta-da. think this is her:http://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/mc-prod/.

and for those of you who arent fluent in either japanese or cyrillic (named after cyril, the chap that invented the language) what the text says is: anyone who uses this is great. anyone who doesnt is a *******.

if you all admit im the uncrowned ruler of the universe ill say no more about it. else youll only incur more wrath. and ive got a six-pack of whoop-*** in reserve with your names written all over it.

yours,
Uncrowned Ruler of The Universe,
Er... Norfolk.