Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HELP me please!

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2002, 10:59 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
I've been told that the standard actuator will allow 0.9bar of boost to be made, is this correct?

If so, my latest thinking is that I could preload the actuator to allow the initial settling of boost @4,000rpm to be higher. The latest actuator actually now reaches about 0.6bar.
Bare in mind my actuator is being fed directly by a short pipe from the inlet compressor housing only. Could it run 0.9bar like this? I would think 0.90bar is only possible with the boost solenoid in line.

[Edited by jameswrx - 11/6/2002 11:01:31 PM]
Old 05 November 2002, 06:13 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Hi guys
I'm getting seriously annoyed with my car troubles need some help please

Basically I'm getting boost creep on my car (94 WRX)

4,00rpm in 4th gear I get 0.50bar come in then foot still planted the boost climbs with the revs, I've just recorded 0.90bar with a standard actuator!

Had trouble trying to setup a dawes, thought it was that but took it off sunday and it still creeps up

I've got a pipe between the turbo nipple and the actuator (hence it coming in at 0.50bar), I today also got another standard actuator and put it on lunch time at work.

On the way home fingers crossed but it still done exactly the same thing!

The wastegate moves freely, as I say i've got a single new pipe directly between turbo inlet housing and actuator, and I've now got 2 actuators to use and no joy!

Can anyone help me please,

James
Old 05 November 2002, 06:25 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think your best bet is to get someone to take a look at your car mate.
Old 05 November 2002, 07:44 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

I'd rather try n sort it myself, gonna be trial and error just thought someone on here might have experienced this, if not then I know I'll sort it but just gonna be more thinking needed.

Besides I don't know anyone I trust anymore round here. I've been given soooo much b*llsh*t by so called proffessionals, such as when I took my GTi-R somewhere to sort out what I now know was an exhaust temp sensor problem, and by one place told the 'ring landers on my pistons where cracked' and another place 'don't worry bout that your bottom end's about to let go I wouldn't even drive home, leave it here' (year and a half ago) Anyway....

Well I think that the actuator I got today which is second hand has a leaky diaphram, I'm presuming my original one has a leaky diaphram. Thats the conclusion i've come too.

Anyone know where I can get a new one for reasonable money, or even an uprated one?

I wanna run 1 bar, has anyone achieved this without boost controllers? ie -31 actuator?
James
Old 06 November 2002, 10:18 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

BLT
Old 06 November 2002, 10:34 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you run an uprated actuator with standard restrictors for the solenoid the ECU will not be able to control the boost. A Dawes is not IMHO a good idea on a WRX - others disagree.

As well as working on the wastegate, you need to check for leaks between the compressor outlet and the inlet manifold.
Old 06 November 2002, 10:43 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

John, Good to get a reply

Had the actuator off today and put it on our air line at work with about 20psi going in, no leaks (in a bucket of water).

When U say bout leaks, how would this cause the boost to climb?
James

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2002, 10:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ECU controls midrange overboost by means of a maximum possible duty cycle and closed loop control. The top end tends not to overboost so much so a more generous duty cycle can be used. This means that boost leaks can show up as poor midrange boost. But on your car it does sound more like a wastegate/actuator problem.