TO ALL THOSE WITH PRODRIVE BACK BOXES

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2002, 11:12 PM
JUSTINLP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,
could you all please put your comments in on how this back box sounds/ compares to the sti one that comes standard on P1s as ive been told they are both the same???!!!!
Thanks Justin
Old 29 October 2002, 11:26 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not the same....

Standard P1 is an STi Item
P1 WR has a Prodrive Stainless BB with 'P1' embossed on it instead of 'Prodrive'

Louder than standard, but not as load as Scoobysport, Magnex or TSL
Old 29 October 2002, 11:58 PM
ade7624
Scooby Regular

What about the ones embossed with WR SPORT ?

Ade
Old 30 October 2002, 01:17 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

As the man says, the backbox that comes with the P1 is the stock STi item with the larger, single tailpipe with STi stamped on it. I think it is very slightly better flowing than the standard double pea shooter and has a slightly throatier sound to it.

The Prodrive upgrade box for the P1 is an all stainless steel thing with a single round pipe that has P1 engraved on the top. Much better noise and performance than the standard STi pipe.

The WRSport stamped box, with the oval tail pipe is a dealer upgrade for the standard UK turbo. Again, this box makes a "proper" noise and is a lot freer flowing than the OE box.

The other Prodrive box is the round pipe one that comes as part of the PPP. Externally this looks the same as the P1 upgrade backbox except it has "prodrive" engraved across the top of the pipe. This box has a narrower internal dimension in the exit pipe than the P1 upgrade backbox although I think this might just be increased sound reduction stuff on the PPP box.

I've had all of the above boxes on my cars at various times. The WRSport backbox was the first one; as I said it makes a proper noise and is a good first upgrade (quieter than the Scoobysport one). Once I decatted the whole exhaust I found the WR was too noisy for my liking.
Changed it to a PPP backbox. Much more tolerable noise level but still a good noise when driving hard

My P1 came with the STi backbox on; made a better noise than my first car did with it's standard double pea shooter but wasn't quite what I was looking for.
I put the PPP backbox onto the P1 for a while just because I had it knocking around. Much improved noise.
Finally put the P1 upgrade backbox on. This is louder than the PPP one although it does tend to drone a bit when motorway cruising. Still very pleased with it

Clear as mud?

[Edited by SimonH - 10/30/2002 1:19:02 AM]
Old 30 October 2002, 05:49 AM
b5m
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The P1 box is slighter better flowing (and noisier) than the PPP Prodrive exhaust. This is according to a post from Prodrive with the reason that the P1 makes more power and needs a better flowing exhaust.
Old 30 October 2002, 08:38 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Just to add a bit more confusion, the WR 'oval' and Prodrive 'round' for the MY01's are identical internal design and are larger and better flowing than the MY00's. This is because the MY01's have more cats as std and so need to be better flowing to compensate.

This means that a later model BB will be louder again than earlier BB's (but better flowing) IMHO.

Oh and BTW, I've tried them all

F
Old 30 October 2002, 10:28 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I'm suprised there has been no post from MikeWood here, he commented on the new scoobysport exhaust thread, and this is closer to home imho.

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2002, 12:29 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Moray

Most of my info is based on Mikes thread.

F
Old 30 October 2002, 01:27 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I think Mike's away - stack of my emails in his inbox unanswered, which is unusual - IIRC he is about to become a dad again