Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Intermitent CEL on Legacy

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2002, 08:40 PM
DJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
I have now got the car through the emisions test (see previous post) with good emmision values, it was a MAF sensor causing the high CO value. BUT the ****** CEL still comes on intermittantly (code 32). I have now checked the readings at various speeds and find that the voltage is not ranging up and down, between .2 - .8 volts, at over 2500 RPM any ideas what could be causing it? The CEL now seems to come on as the car warms up and goes from open loop to closed loop.
I have fitted a new O2 sensor and a new MAF sensor, all wiring back to the ECU is fine.
Subaru UK recon it could be an ECU fault, has anyone had any experience of ECU faults in the Legacy?
Thanks for any ideas
Dick
Old 29 October 2002, 09:27 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you fit the correct lambda sensor or wire it correctly? Sorry that is all I can think of. Unlikely to be an ECU failure - they tend not to fail anywhere near as often as main dealers think they do.
Old 29 October 2002, 11:25 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Never heard of an ecu failing, unless it has actually been damaged by someone. I had a problem with a car once, where the wiring had been cut/worn through. Very starnge, but most of the time it was making a closed circuit. Occasionally it would break, and go open circuit casuing a CEL. the wires bad broken near the multiplugs for the engine, located beside the battery/washer bottle. Prbably not your problem, but worth checking all visible wiring for chafing etc.
Old 30 October 2002, 09:24 AM
DJ
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. I will check the wiring but i have done it once already even having a multi metre on the relevant wires back to the ECU. Just a thought, dosn't the O2 wiring go direct thro' the bulkhead on the legacy? Would any of the other engine multi plugs give a code 32?
The O2 sensor that i fitted was an origional part from Subaru so no wiring was needed.
Dick
Old 31 October 2002, 11:12 AM
DJ
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 31 October 2002, 11:54 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Just an idea, but the connection on my MAP sensor had worked loose. Go over a few bumps and CEL would come on for a bit, and then go off. Was really weird.
Only found out when I started building my DIY FCD. ( A project since abandoned after I heard about ScoobyECU.com)
Worth a try?