Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dawes on a UK

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2002, 01:37 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Ive just read a reply on another thread saying that fitting a Dawes to a WRX is as good as asking it to blow up.Is this also the case on a MY98 UK one,im planning to get a dawes device but want to get a set of gauges first(boost/oil press/afr),also is there many people out there with a dawes fitted on a UK for a considerable time without any probs,or vice versa had no end of probs.Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Old 27 October 2002, 08:18 AM
raybotha
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know "easy" it takes one negative person to start a shooting match and a whole police force to stop it . My advice don't , listen to nay sayers . For every negative comment you are sure to find some one else to balance that view and the truth lies somewhere in between . IOW you get what you pay for is my simple guideline . Dawes is still in business , it works similar to the turbo smart and performs a function . One up is an ebc and then an ecu for ultimate control . Go for it , get a tuner to fit if your'e worried , its worth the extra .

Good luck
Ray
Old 27 October 2002, 01:27 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

Wink

hello, er 'easy', it was my post that discussed the worrying posts about the dawes, so i can honestly say that i share your concerns about meltdown and impending spending. however, i thought you might like to know that throughout all of the listed threads (and there are MANY) the negative votes for the dawes were outweighed by the positive ones by a ratio of 6 to 1,(sorry am currently a researcher, so cant help but compile statistics) and i suspect that this is an good endorsement of its popularity and merit in itself.in fact, you'd be hard pressed to find many items that didnt have an equal ratio of detractors to endorsers, so in that respect dawes is exceptional. In honesty, i did experience some troubles with my dawes, but that turned out to be the clutch being unable to handle the upped power. the moral of the story seems to be go for it, but go for it with one eye on a host of monitors. unless of course your minted, in which case ignore the dials and get your butler to test it for you first and then blame him when it goes pop. But do go for it, if for no other reason than you wont know unless you try it. after all you can always take it back off if it worries you, it only takes a couple of mins even for a moron like me.

good luck mate.
Matt.
Old 27 October 2002, 01:47 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Dawes is fine on a UK, a great thing indeed. On a Jap import it is potentially a recipe for blowing up if you don't know exactly what you are doing - ie basically you can tune engines.
Old 27 October 2002, 02:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

What, exactly, does a "Dawes" do, please?
Is it so different to a Unichip?
Alcazar
Old 27 October 2002, 05:07 PM
ricco
Scooby Regular

Alcazar, see http://www.dawesdevices.com or http://www.performanceexhausts.net for more info.

[Edited by ricco - 10/27/2002 5:09:14 PM]
Old 27 October 2002, 11:14 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the speedy replies,i feel alot more confident about it now.I'm still going to get the gauges though,but ill get the butler to fit them matt,i cant be getting my hands filthy now old bean(prepare yourselves for plenty of gauge/dawes fitting questions in the near future)