Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

New Clutch for an STI 5

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2002, 07:05 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My clutch is on the way out (STI 5 Type R)and I am shopping around for a new one before I lose it completely. Grateful for recommended best performance at the best price available. I will probably buy on line/mail order and arrange to have the kit fitted locally by an ex- Scoob main dealer. The stock STI clutch lasted about 10,000 miles, which is not too bad as I push fairly hard. However, if I could get one that lasts with plenty of fast road use it would help! Suggestions much appreciated.
Old 19 October 2002, 08:24 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Blind, mail Mark Aigin he has some uprated clutches.

Mark@Lateralperformance.com

Dan
Old 19 October 2002, 08:51 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

Cheers Danny, I'll give him a shout early next week.
Anybody driving on the AP organic? Is it good for the price or better than the sti one?
I am quite happy with a firm clutch with lots of bite at middle range.
Old 20 October 2002, 01:55 PM
BKS
Scooby Regular

blind, i also have researching this matter as i reckon i only have around 1000 mls left.

The AP clutch is only about 40 quid more expensive than the OEM replacement and by all accounts, far superior. Cheapest quote i have had i 650 including clutch release bearing and VAT.I have also found an EBC clutch for a few hundred quid less which may also be an option.

Let us know how you get on.

ben
Old 20 October 2002, 04:01 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

Got that Ben, thanks for the reply. I've now got a few lines of inquiry (avoiding main dealers) and should have a result by the tail end of next week. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01 November 2002, 09:23 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

Smile

AP 'formula' organic single plate clutch kit now fitted, in combination with the old sti release bearing, which was fine. Got it all changed in time yesterday and no damage done to the flywheel.
Ben I suggest you get on to the AP Racing web site if you are still hunting. Look up their list of wholesalers/stockists and e-mail the one closest to your area direct for a price. You will probably save around £50-60 at least by cutting out the middleman. I will not give an all up price, but you should find it helps in saving some money.
Alternatively Mark Aigin at Lateral Performance was most helpful and his clutch kits have impressive/hard to beat performance stats at a comparatively reasonable price. I decided to go with the AP clutch because the local dealer was a short drive away and it was convenient. Oh and I can now push on again without smoking the engine bay! Good luck.
Old 01 November 2002, 11:05 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
BS,

Glad you got it sorted out.

When talking of "comparative" prices, it's worth noting that the kit I supply INCLUDES a new release bearing.

It's generally recommended that the bearing is replaced at the same time as the clutch, given the expense of changing it, at a later date, and the abuse they take.

Mark.