Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

**OVERBOOST**

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2002, 09:28 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

I'am suffering from the above, got a MY98 with GGR induction kit, scoobysport backbox, magnex de-cat centre section with resinator and dump valve.

Is the cure a DAWES DEVICE because it seem's to be getting worse now the weather is getting colder.????

LEE MAC
Old 18 October 2002, 12:38 PM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Your boost solinoid may be contaminated with oil.

On my MY98 looking from the front f the car, it is Located on the left hand side of engine bay behind the air filter. Placed on a bracket with 2 other sensors which is attached to the suspension mounting. On mine it is the lower sensor.

Cleaning
Remove the 2 pipes from the sensor, might have to remove the bracket from the suspension mount to ease access. Disconnect the power to the sensor via the 2 pin connector. Using 2 wires connect the 2 pins to the car battery. You should hear the sensor toggle once. Spray 'Brake cleaner fluid' down the two loose pipes into the sensor. Toggle the sensor by reconnecting and disconnecting one of the wires to the battery. Repeat a few times.

Re connect all wires and pipes and take her for a spin.

Hope this helps

Neal
Old 18 October 2002, 03:43 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to get the solenoid to repeatedly click, you can connect the two TEST connectors together.
these are found underneeth the steering coloum & are green in colour. the fans should go full pelt, as well as the solenoid.
cant remember if you need to turn the ignition on or not, but probably ! check the SIDC FAQ's or SEARCH the actull procedure.

the other thing people do, is to change the size of the restrictor in the pipe to the actuator. This shouldnt affect peek boost, but helps the spikes (appaently! - know of several people that dealers have done this too)

Other than that, a Dawes will stop it, even if it means you have to run very sightly less boost (totally adjustable, obviously!)

Definatly gets worse with colder weather, as the lower charge temps means more boost!

hope that helps some..

Steve

[Edited by ScoobyDuck - 10/18/2002 3:44:03 PM]

[Edited by ScoobyDuck - 10/18/2002 3:44:33 PM]
Old 18 October 2002, 08:09 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Wink

NM,
I cleaned the boost solenoid out three months ago. Do you think it needs cleaning again.????

cheers LEE MAC

[Edited by lee mclaughlan - 10/18/2002 8:10:13 PM]
Old 18 October 2002, 08:19 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

SCOOBYDUCK,
Thanks mate, I think I will try changing the restrictor.
Do I go bigger or smaller.????
Do you know where I can get one from, is it a main dealer part.???

LEE MAC
Old 19 October 2002, 07:55 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I clean mine out about every 3 months and havent had OB for ages, used to get it all the time. Thought about changing the restrictor but heard stories of people loosing power so I just clean the solinoid on a regular basis.

Check your oil level on a flat surface, if its high you will get more regular oil contamination of the solinoid. Reduce the oil level so its half way between full and empty. On cold moist days I still get OB whether its clean or not.

If you fit a boost gauge you can see what is happening. Mine normally peaks at 14.5psi when its OB it reaches 17.5psi.

Hope this helps

Neal
Old 19 October 2002, 12:20 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a MY98 which has always suffered from overboost.The brass restrictor also needs to be kept perfectly clean.I used to clean both the solenoid and restrictor,but the last few times I have cleaned only the restrictor with good results.There is normally a small amount of oily c**p on it.

HTH Andy

Trending Topics

Old 20 October 2002, 02:04 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cheers boys soon as it stops raining i'am going to do some cleaning...

NM
forgot to say i got a boost gauge..I will have to keep a eye on it

LEE MAC