Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Downpipe without back box?

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2002, 07:20 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I decat my downpipe, ie replace it with a down pipe without a decat in, like a scoobysport one without actually changing the back box. I'm keen to get some more power but I dont really want all that noise from a new back box.

Will I still get 20-30hp more with just the downpipe or do I need the noisy backbox too?

Also how does the centre pipe affect this discussion?
Old 11 October 2002, 07:40 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I don't know of anyone who has tried what you suggest, but I can say:

With some downpipes, it will physically fit. Doing so will increase noise a bit anyway as the cat absorbs/blocks some of the exhaust noise.

The centre section has a cat at the front, which also acts as a sound muffler and also restricts power.

The backbox restricts flow a bit (probably less than a cat though), whilst removing some of the noise.

In very basic terms, each time you remove a restriction from the exhaust, you will get more power and more noise. A scoobysport backbox with an OEM centre/downpipe is not as noisy as a full scoobysport system, but gives much less power.

Having said that, some exhausts are much noisier than others - do a search here and you'll find a number of posts about that. From my limited experience, I would put the scoobysport in the medium noise category - eg Blitz will be louder, but several quieter. Quieter systems will often have a sports cat and a resonated centre section, as both of these will absorb noise without having too much effect on power.
Old 11 October 2002, 08:55 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is very do-able, not sure you'll get 'that' much power, BUT you'll be amazed at how different the car drives, it should be a LOT smoother, less on-off!
The downpipe is the one bit on my car that made the best change, I would have considered doing it first if I'd realised.
Ron.

DO IT!!!!
Old 11 October 2002, 09:24 PM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've run all sorts of combinations......

I ran a Scoobysport downpipe with a standard (STi) exhaust for a couple of years.

I'd be surprised if the downpipe ever gave those sort of power increases. What it does do though is get the turbo spinning earlier - it seemed to shift the whole response level down atleast 500rpm. It makes the car much more driveable.

IMHO - the down pipe is the best upgrade - I'd do it before the backbox every time !

BTW I'm now running Scoobysport downpipe, PE catted centre and Magnex back box.
Old 13 October 2002, 08:44 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Looks like i'll be getting me a scoobysport down pipe then wonder if I can pass MOT by leaving the centre section in!
Old 13 October 2002, 09:32 AM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

It depends...... my STi failed which is why I've now got a PE catted centre - I just couldn't be arsed with swapping it about every year. I've heard that some UK's still pass if they're hot enough when tested.
Old 13 October 2002, 09:44 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

I dont want to go through all that hassle, it sounds like a nightmare keep changing stuff to pass an MOT, would a decat downpipe and a better centre section pass?

I think the question I need to ask is whats the most powerful combination that will still enable a flawless MOT pass?
Old 13 October 2002, 10:43 AM
JulesB
Scooby Regular

S55 HOT

How do you find your PE centre?
Any noticable power changes when it was fitted?
How about increased noise over your standard STi centre.
I have ordered SS DP & BB so far, but leaving OE centre to try to keep noise down, and pass MOT.

Jules
Old 13 October 2002, 06:41 PM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

UHF - as far as I know Power Engineering are the only ones who do a catted center and therefore it is the most powerful one ;-)

Jules - The PE centre feels slightly freer and is only very slightly louder than standard.
Old 13 October 2002, 09:04 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

S55Hot - Not true. There's quite a few people who do sports cat systems. PE do, but also Graham Goode, MRT, APS off the top of my head and I think there are others.

Re "most powerful" - I don't know, although IIRC someone did a back to back trial of many exhaust systems which may include several of these systems.

Edit - I believe the someone who did the tests was dalloyd. Haven't found the results yet, though.

[Edited by hades - 10/13/2002 9:17:25 PM]
Old 13 October 2002, 09:27 PM
JulesB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hades

S55 was refering to catted CENTRES, the ones you mention have catted DPs and this is likely to have some limits on performance IMVHO.
Old 13 October 2002, 09:40 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

yes, indeed, what I wanna do is de cat down pipe, sports cat centre section and a moderate back box and get some nice power and still pass MOT cos of a decent centre pipe cat!
Old 13 October 2002, 09:57 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jules - Fair point, I should read more carefully. The other sports cats I mentioned will not fit to a SS dp. If UHF has already got/ordered a SS downpipe, that is the best option.

Re: limiting performance - I'm not convinced. One other variable in the equation is that with SS dp and PE centre, (IIRC) you have a diameter restriction where the two parts meet as they run OEM compatable flanges. I know the APS maintains the larger pipe diameter by having their own centre sections (MRT too I think). Downside is that their cat is a little nearer to the turbo than the PE one, as you said. APS is apparently fine to 360bhp+. Whether it is more or less restrictive than PE, I don't know. Guess we need to find some dyno results to settle that one!
Old 13 October 2002, 10:13 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

I havent ordered anything yet, I thought I'd ask here first
Old 13 October 2002, 10:52 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

So . . .It roughly boils down to you want MOT legal, not too loud, lots of power? I can see variations on two basic options

1. Decat dp/sports cat centre/fairly quiet backbox. I just found another sports cat centre - Milltek also appear to do one here .

2. Fit a full MRT or APS sports cat system - these are quieter than most systems and give good power gains.

The MRT/APS systems have a centre resonator as well as a sports cat - which makes them quieter than the PE system which just has a cat in the centre and no resonator. A resonator and free flowing backbox is (I'm told) a less restrictive way of reducing noise than no resonator and a more restrictive quieter backbox. Because of what I've said, I recently ordered an APS system, which I believe is right for me.

I would still love to see all the systems proved on a dyno to get a definitive answer about the power output. Without that everyone can express opinions, but we have no proof of who is right.

Does that help?
Old 13 October 2002, 11:02 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

makes sense, thanks!
Old 14 October 2002, 01:37 PM
dela
Scooby Regular

I like the sound of this APS system, who stocks them?

cheers,
dela
Old 14 October 2002, 06:32 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

try here

They are aussie made, so take a couple of weeks to arrive - ordered mine last week, so not here yet

Phone them - Jamie is helpful, and has generally impressed people on here who have used him. If you tell him I pointed you at him, he might even give me a discount - how about it Jamie?
Old 14 October 2002, 08:36 PM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Horses for courses I guess.

The problems with the integrated solution are
a) you have to buy it all at once
b) if you don't like it you can't tweak/experiment a bit

I noticed the most performance increase from the downpipe and practically none from the backbox - though the increase in sound makes it feel faster.

AFAIK I was the first person to actually test a backbox back to back (before & after) on a rolling road on the same day! The results are here.

Pete Croney didn't seem particularly keen on me doing it - he was there that day and was very interested in the results. The Power Engineering boys were very surprised - in something like 15 years of tuning, they'd never seen a backbox deliver any gains before let alone meaningful ones.

When I swapped my Scoobysport backbox back to the regular STi one, I noticed no performance degredation, but it was a lot quieter !

I'm thinking of going back to the STi one again as I find even the Magnex one quite loud and that's supposed to be quiet......