Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Fresh oil near sump plug & possible dodgy tracking

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2002, 04:52 PM
pspencer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking at a car that I really like, but it has a couple of problems:

1. There's fresh oil around the sump plug. No signs of cracks or damage to the sump, but it's ~1000 miles off it's next service, so is this just a dodgy seal on the sump plug, or the sign of something more ominous? I couldn't see the very back of the sump, just the front and sides by the way.

2. The car pulls slightly to the left. I haven't found this on the other cars I've test driven. Does this indicate that the tracking's off? Any idea how much this would cost to get sorted, or what else it could be (again with costs)?

Any help would be most appreciated. As I said, I really like the car, but don't want to get landed with big repair bills just after I've bought it.

Cheers,
Phil.
Old 07 October 2002, 05:23 PM
jmca
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Would this be a psersonal sale or garage. If it's a garage you could get a guarantee for a few months. If it's a personal sale you might be better off getting someone to have a look at it such as the AA. Or tell the current owner that you'd need the tracking to be done before you seriously think of it & plunge in. They would be better of getting the tracking done anyway 'cos I'm sure the next person to look at it will have the same thoughts.

Regards

Johny.
Old 07 October 2002, 05:24 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

oil leak 'could' just be the washer used to seal the bolt. always use a new one when changing oil.

pulling to the left, usually indicates that the wheels are toeing out slightly, and can be sorted by having the wheel alignment adjusted. where i work on weekends, we charge 19.95 to do tracking.

also, as the wheels are probably toeing out, it means that the inside edges of the front tyres may possibly be worn, so check this too, just put the steering at full lock either way to check the tyres properly.

hope this helps
ian

p.s. note that there are other things that could make it pull to the left.
if poss, ask the current owner to get the tracking checked + adjusted to be sure before you hand over the cash.