Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dawes fitting and poss ecu reset, how???

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2002, 08:37 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

Hi

Got me dawes yesterday (basic one).
Only had the car bout 3 weeks (94 WRX), was standard, but i put HKS Hyper and downpipe and a HKS induction kit on last week (oh joy!)
What I need to know as I know many of ya have done this before is:
Where to put the dawes?
And i keep seeing this ecu reset posted, should I do this before i put dawes on?, after?, or not at all?.
Looked on dawes website but quite vague on locating apart from basics of between wastegate actuator and inlet manifold area, but it says don't use original boost pressure pick up which currently goes to the actuator!
Why is this? cause when I looked today I would have said dawes should go straight off turbo inlet housing nipple and onto actuator! Cutting out the standard valve located on the offside wing in the engine bay!
Appreciate some advice from someone whos done this.
Oh yeah and if I do the ecu reset I read somewhere bout full tank of optimax and a heavy right foot for a few miles! Any specifics to this? like should you go for it on the motorway?
Cheers
James
Old 25 September 2002, 08:47 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Reset ECU
Old 25 September 2002, 08:53 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

cheers!
so is it a myth that you have to thrash the car then?

Any ideas on the Dawes?
Old 25 September 2002, 09:05 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

You only need to thrash car I believe if you remove the battery terminal to discharge the ECU. Then a lot of right boot is required IIRC.

As for the Dawes device, I can't help you there I'm afraid.
Old 25 September 2002, 09:14 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Oh right!

Does this mean there are different purposes for the reset? thought it was just to set new performance parameters? I presumed the idea was to run super unleaded and reset ecu, give car some stick (until boost reaches a level to cause det then backs off to safer limit) resulting in a new higher boost level with decent octane fuel, thus more performance
Does anyone know if the ecu takes boost up to maximum level after reset or advances timing til det or both?
Old 25 September 2002, 09:44 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Right I've just fitted a replacement turbo and now my car was over-boosting. I had fitted my wastegate actuator from my old turbo. I checked the ECU fault codes and carried out the reset using the green & black connectors. Just had car out for a blat, to find that I'm only peaking at 0.7bar (0.3 to 0.4 lower than before). I had initially adjusted my wastegate actuator but I can see another small increase on this tomorrow.
Old 25 September 2002, 10:55 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

See HERE for all the Dawes info you'll ever need

It's quite easy to fit, a bit of a fiddle to set up though (unless you get lucky with your first few tuning runs).
I've got mine set to peak at 16psi & dropping to 15psi in 5th. I haven't bothered with a ECU reset as I didn't deem it necessary as I was fitting a manual boost controller the ECU has no control over.

Matt

Trending Topics

Old 26 September 2002, 12:57 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
How to fit a Dawes to MY92>96

About the ECU reset, for the early MY cars its worth doing every now and then in case you get a poor batch of fuel resulting in the ECU retarding ignition. However with a Dawes installed be aware that if you are driving with the black and green connectors together (check engine light is flashing), or indeed the ECU is in 'limp home mode' (a check engine code is flashing), the ECU would limit boost to 0.5 bar - but you have bypassed this now with the Dawes. So don't hack it with the check engine light flashing!

Also, I trust you use SUL minimum

Enjoy!

Justin
Old 26 September 2002, 07:13 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers guys

Got me clear indicators and side repeaters today
Can't believe how something so simple changes the look of the car! If you ain't got any yet people, well worth the cash!
Gonna do the dawes Saturday me thinks, give myself some time to set it up!
Still bit unsure on this ecu reset, suppose there's no benefit doing it though with the dawes fitted unless it does advance the timing? thats the only gain you'd get from it I suppose.
Old 26 September 2002, 08:37 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Question

With your clear indicators did you get the whole indicator housing? reason I ask is that today I crunched my nearside indicator and broke one of the clips off the housing of the indicator (the orange lens is ok). If you've got one going spare I'd gladly give you some money for it.
Old 26 September 2002, 09:20 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

If your talking bout the back part of the indicator with the bit that clips into the bumper, yeah, they come as complete units, even bulbs wiring and everything.
You wanna pay money for orange indicators?
See it as a sign, a higher force is telling you to get clears on