Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Aftermarket Downpipe=Boost Spikes?

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2002, 04:07 AM
merlin73
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After doing some research and reading all the threads here about downpipes, I'm looking at the Scoobysport or MRT downpipe(s) and centre section.

I seem to come across conflicting views on DPs and boost spikes, could you guys share your experiences with those?

1. New (cat-less) downpipe = CEL (eventually) + boost spikes? This needs to be addressed with (a) a restrictor OR (b) an aftermarket electronic boost controller. CEL can be addressed thru SS's CEL fix.

2. New DP with high-flow cat = boost spikes but no CEL?

3. Pros and cons of open design DP (eg SS) and the ones with a splitter for turbine and wastegate gases (eg Cusco/MRT)? Which to go for?

4. I intend to keep my existing STi 7 backbox, will an aftermarket centre section fit the stock backbox with any modifications?

5. Should the centre section come with (an additional) resonator? I'd like to keep sound levels close to stock.

I know some or all of the above has been discussed, but could you guys conclusively share your experiences once and for all?

Cheers

[Edited by merlin73 - 9/20/2002 4:09:08 AM]
Old 20 September 2002, 11:38 AM
merlin73
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone? BTTT
Old 20 September 2002, 11:46 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. New (cat-less) downpipe = CEL (eventually) + boost spikes? This needs to be addressed with (a) a restrictor OR (b) an aftermarket electronic boost controller. CEL can be addressed thru SS's CEL fix.

YES

2. New DP with high-flow cat = boost spikes but no CEL?

DEPENDS ON FLOW - if it is genuine high flow then boost spikes

3. Pros and cons of open design DP (eg SS) and the ones with a splitter for turbine and wastegate gases (eg Cusco/MRT)? Which to go for?

DEBATED - I don't think it really matters a jot personally.

4. I intend to keep my existing STi 7 backbox, will an aftermarket centre section fit the stock backbox with any modifications?

Most will - some large bore systems may not. Need to check with supplier.

5. Should the centre section come with (an additional) resonator? I'd like to keep sound levels close to stock.

Sound levels will benefit from resonator. The STi 7 BB will keep the noise levels down, but is restrictive.