Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

DIY intercooler water spray advice wanted !

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2002, 07:06 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hi All

Looking for a cheap and easy mod for my UK 4dr MY98. Noticed that some of the imports have water spray on the intercooler. Anyone fitted this to their car? and if so can point me in the right direction.

About a year ago I stumbled on a web page that showed a step by step guide to fitting one of these using the headlight washer and its switch. Stupidly enough I didnt save it in my favorites and cant remember the name of the site. Anyone know of this site or another that might be able to help me out????

Cheers

Neal
Old 03 September 2002, 08:47 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Speak to John Banks who has recently re-routed the headlamp spray to the IC.
Makes a slight difference on a hot day, when you're standing idling, but I've seen arguments mentioning that because the water is held in the engine bay, effectively you're spraying warm water on the IC.

I've seen a kit produced by MRT somewhere on one of the usual websites (Scoobyworld, Scoobessential.....can't remember, sorry)

Old 03 September 2002, 08:49 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

ChristianR's selling his original STI IC spray, so that might be another option.

Stefan
Old 03 September 2002, 09:17 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

No web pictures, but just replumb the headlight washers into some hose and then get some STi spray jets through your dealer. This leaves it as a manual system - if you want it automatic you need to buy or build a controller. Look back and there were a few threads on here.

It knocks a few degrees off the charge temperature.
Old 03 September 2002, 12:32 PM
NM
Scooby Regular

Question

Question ?

Anybody see a problem with this set up ?

I have removed my Resonator in the front wing where I have located ducting for my induction kit. How about removing one of the ducts and locating an expandable water container where the resonator was once located. Access to the container via one of the 2 holes the resonator took up in the engine bay. Thus the water would be kept cool via keeping the water container away from the heat of the engine and the cool moving air entering the front brake cooling ducts in the bumper.
The expandable water bags I have seen on some off roaders for the rear wash wipe

Cheers

Neal
Old 03 September 2002, 05:37 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

see my thread.. for a cheap one

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...ThreadID=97289

Dan
Old 03 September 2002, 07:21 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

I use 4litres of water a day in my home made ic spray....have to fill up every night

Hope I dont need my windscreen washers at all

Trending Topics

Old 04 September 2002, 07:03 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for all your help lads

Now where did I put my tool box ?

Neal
Old 04 September 2002, 10:40 AM
jonmyers
Scooby Regular

Question

so do you end up spraying soapy water onto the IC or just fill up with plain water? I guess the winscreen washers become secondary?
Old 04 September 2002, 10:47 AM
z_chromozone
Scooby Regular

Wink

A few degrees change in the temperature of the water being sprayed on does not make much difference. The heat (energy)is lost when the water evaporates off of the intercooler. The most important thing is to get a good flow of air over the intercooler to get maximum evaporation.

(I will post the science behind this if anyone is interested)
Old 04 September 2002, 11:03 AM
z_chromozone
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Sorry about posting twice, but if you want to get effective cooling a fine mist will be much more effective than big drops, this will increase the rate of eveporation and surface area of the intercooler covered. A wind screen washer is probably not the best thing to use.

Z
Old 04 September 2002, 12:13 PM
NM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Post the science, Post the science, Post the science, Post the science

I was going to adapt a nozzle from one of those hand pump house cleaning products that the Mrs uses, they supply a fine mist. All I have to do is get her cleaning more often so I can have a pair of nozzles

Cheers

Neal
Old 04 September 2002, 01:43 PM
z_chromozone
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Well for those interested here goes……

I am going to use an example because it is easier. So, how much energy is required to heat 250g water from 0 to 100 deg and how much energy is required to turn 250g of water to steam?

Now some sums,

The greek letter "delta" (square) represents change in.
H - Represents enthalpy, which we will think of as heat.
q - Represents heat gained or lost.
m - Represents mass.
T - Represents temperature.
Cp - Represents specific heat capacity.

1. Raise the temperature of liquid water from 0 oC to 100 oC - no phase change

q = m T Cp = (250g) (100 Co) (4.18 J/g . Co) = 104,500 J

2. Vaporize the liquid water - phase change occurs - temperature does not change

q = m Hvap = (250g) (2260 J/g) = 565,000 J

As you can see the energy needed to change the water to steam is over five times that of the energy required to heat from 0 to 100. So cooling you water bottle by 10, or even 20 deg will not make much difference.

In a rather large nutshell….Water molecules (H2O) are polarised like tiny magnets, this polarisation attracts them to each other. When water is heated to molecules begin to vibrate faster and faster in solution, this requires a small amount of energy. Vaporisation to form steam needs enough energy to completely break the attractive forces between them, requiring a large amount of energy.

I hope that helped, Dr. Z.
Old 04 September 2002, 04:23 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

I built my own waterspray on my old WRX using a microswitch mounted under the throttle peddal. I used two atomisers from "bugspray" type water bottles and connected them via a new washer pump to the washer bottle (filled with water).
I also stuck a digital teperature sensor in the intercooler (as per a really old thread on the bbs) and you could see the temps reducing by a few degrees when in use.
I added a manual switch and a red LED to show when it was activated, even if it didnt increase power noticably it only cost about twenty quid in tubing and bits, and everyone wanted a look at the surrey meets.
Old 04 September 2002, 04:50 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

Go to the MRT web page http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/ look under technical tips and IC water spray. Here you have all the test and technical stuff for IC water spray and why it works. On the MRT web page they sell the nozzle you need for IC spray. You can use the headlamp spray pump as supply

Lars
Old 04 September 2002, 07:27 PM
clint .
Scooby Regular

you can also buy presure switches so when the turbo gets up to boost it start spraying, i was also thinking of making one myself tell use how you got on and tips of making. would it be a good idea to rap some metal hoseing around the air-con pipes to drop tempreture (brake pipe)? also on the sti it's a bar spay can you get these or do i have to make one out of a fish tank airer?
Old 04 September 2002, 08:00 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Wow science...

There are certainly some very clever people out there!

I was left behind with 250grams

I'm only a divvy builder

Good luck all you DIYers
Old 04 September 2002, 09:21 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

dawes do a pressure switch, have a look on JWracing website.

Old 04 September 2002, 10:10 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

I have fitted a system which uses hoselock garden irrigation 45 degree nozzles. This and 4mm pipe, a packet of connectors and some fiddling has resulted in a well effective job.

Will try and get some pics up but they may be copyrighted!!(Thanks AndyF)
Old 05 September 2002, 09:07 AM
z_chromozone
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hello again, just a few ideas. Remember that your intercooler is in fact a large heat sink. Heat from the charged air is transferred into the intercooler when on boost, this slowly warms the intercooler, the intercooler then slowly cools down off boost. Because this is a SLOW process there is no point having your water injection come on every time you use full boost, this will waste water. You only need your water injection to come on when the intercooler becomes saturated with heat and is not able to dissipate it before the next time you put your foot down (heat soak).

My point is, rather than use a throttle activated spray, it would be better to use a thermostatically activated spray. One that comes on when the intercooler gets hot and sprays every 15 sec, or so until it has cooled. This will maximise your water supply and give you a ‘cooler’ intercooler when you need it.

If anyone has a temp sensor see how long the intercooler takes to get back to normal with and without water. This is probably a better measure of efficiency than the number of degrees cooler it runs at full boost.

I hope this gives the DIY people some ideas, keep us posted with what you get up to.

Z.
Old 05 September 2002, 12:42 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

try attatching a "thermo" switch to the side of the intercooler, like one used to control the radiator electric cooling fan, link it "inline" with the water pump, so it only cuts in and out when the intercooler gets up to temperature,saves on water tank size and allows for easier useage. Dont think linking it to the "boost" side will work effectively, but better to think along the lines of "temp control", all you need to do then is find a link for a "timed spray", a word in an electrical shop will produce a "timer relay" to overcome that one, so get the connectors out, this mod should sort it.
Old 05 September 2002, 02:10 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Nah bo11ocks mate, you want the cooling when you are hammering it, i.e. when the boost is up or when you give it full throttle. Sometimes the throttle position sensor is better as this sprays before the turbo spools up. If you had a heat sensitive switch then the heatsoak you get when in heavy traffic would have it cutting in all the time on tickover !!!!!
Those adjustable boost switches from j-w-racing are the way to go
Old 06 September 2002, 08:27 AM
z_chromozone
Scooby Regular

Wink

After a bit of internet searching these guys seem to have the right idea

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0527/P_2/article.html

The website appears about the best around and gives good advice to people setting up water sprays. They also have a few of their own kits for sale. They do not look like they will be too expensive either.

Z.