Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HELP ME PLEASE...!

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2002, 05:57 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

My English are very poor so I’ll try to explain my problem with simple words…
Before one month I first heard a slight rasp from the front right side under my car which thought was my diff as it only appeared on left hand corners when right wheel is under load.
The noise is similar with a noise between two gears without grease and is more pronounced the faster I turn to the left especially at high speeds.
I visited the authorized Subaru service and they checked the car more than four times.
Front right wheel bearing was flushed, bearing spring was cracked – unusual problem for the Impreza as they told me – and they changed it immediately with a new one.
Took the car for a test and after 500m I found out that the problem still exists.
The noise now is clearer and looks like the tire touches a metal piece periodically, slight vibration on the steering wheel and seems that my right drive shaft has gone!
Bear in mind the noise is there even at low speeds and even at slight turns, volume depends from how fast I turn to the left.
After many visits and tests the mechanics changed it temporarily with a second hand complete driveshaft from a Forester but unfortunately the noise is still there.
They tried everything except to open the diff case and look for the diff bearing.
My question is simple:
Is this possible and if yes could they change the diff bearing without opening of the diff case? Has anybody had similar problem and what else could it be, may be worn front diff? Does the driveshaft need adjustment through the diff bearing and could this be the cause of my problem?
My car is MY00 with Prodrive suspension settings and only mod 17’’ wheels and anti lift kit which theoretically add wear to the suspension/drive system.
I would really appreciate if you could help me!
Thanks
JIM
Old 28 August 2002, 09:39 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Jim, is the car under any warranty ?

OR are you trying to diagnose this using your own money???
Old 28 August 2002, 10:12 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Unforunately the second case!
I pay every every visit to the service and of course in case it is differential bearing or worse the differential is worn and needs repair or replacement, I must say I need too much money...
Unfortunately...
Old 28 August 2002, 10:19 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that Jim, the obvious advice is to start with the smaller and cheaper items and work up to the more expensive parts to replace...sorry but other than that I cant help.

Try also an e-mail to Mr.Croney of Scoobysport, he has extensive knowledge of Scoobs and might be able to suggest a common problem with front wheels etc???

Good luck
Old 29 August 2002, 12:04 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks mate.
There is no one to answer my question?
JIM