Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

How hot do exhausts get?

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2002, 06:41 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Yes i no it's a "drivetrain" question but i'm seeking an answer ASAP so yer kindness is apreciated MOD's
Basically the silencer that screws into the blitz exhaust which i have slightly rattles when screwed in place Pi$$in neighbours off enough when it's out dont wana do their heads in with rattling also But it sounds bleeding cheap when it rattles away @ low revs so i certainly wana get rid!
It seems that putting sum tape or wotever around the silencer where it's hitting the zaust wood cure the problem although the highest temperature rated stuff from halfords was from -34c to 177c & described as "exhaust repair tape" . So is this sufficient not 2 go **** up on a scooby blitz exhaust or do i need 2 get ordering sum of the up2 2000c or wotever tape i have kum across on da net? More expensive but that's not an issue if it's guna save me messin up such a fine zaust
Cheers peaps.
Si
Old 26 August 2002, 06:49 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Si,

You could sell me it... just the back box, and i will give you my jap-innovations one + some cash, which is less intrusive....

Problem solved..

Dan
Old 27 August 2002, 06:55 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

Hmm i think the term is dream on
But seriously can any1 shed any light on whether it's hotter than 177c or not? PLEASE
Si
Old 27 August 2002, 10:11 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Hmm, well, I think the numbers that your'e looking at are up to 600c after the turbo (I think - up to 800C before!) & I don't think it'll drop 500C in 3m. Even if I'm a little off, I don't think 177C is going to happen!
Old 27 August 2002, 12:25 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

Thanks m8, probably explains y i've burnt meself a few times tryin 2 put silencer in after a mild burn n all
Si
Old 27 August 2002, 12:34 PM
ripmaze
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I removed my muffler after it had been in the pipe for about 2 minutes while we tested the noise level. It was hot enough to burn my hand (glad I'm not the only one to have done that ) despite only being in such a short amount of time. I guess it'll run very hot after being in the pipe a while - so I too think it'll be more than 177C.

Would be interested if you can find a solution though as the rattle pi55es me off too - my solution is not to use the bung , but with a long journey soon I think it'll be needed! I rang the supplier and they said they all do it as it's basically an after-thought - precision engineering...
Old 27 August 2002, 05:17 PM
Ivor_the_engine_ChooChoo!
Scooby Regular

Check the temperature of the exhaust by touching it with your tongue.
Old 27 August 2002, 05:35 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

fi thay that thosant tha thery thood fidea, fit fekin furt Answer damn hot lol
Called a Co. today who didn't reckon any adhesive tape wood really stick at such temperatures & i'm looking at possibility of getting sum material i can sorta tie off behind the main body of the silencer, so watch this space...........................
I had fort it didn't rattle so much when it's hot but it's negligable so may fork out a tenner or so for sum stuff c if it works, probably b a huge roll so wana go 2's?
Si