Jumping out of Gear

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2002, 10:26 AM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Y-Reg P1
Started yesterday jumping out of 5th, take foot off the gas and then reapply and it jumps into neutral, then late last night whilst parking put it in 1st and the gearbox locked solid, took a good 10 mins of wrestling with the lever to get it free again.

Still under warrenty but wondered if anyone else had experienced anything like this?....
Old 11 August 2002, 10:37 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

That sounds like your going to need a new gearbox (or parts there of)
Had this problem with a Renault 19 (quite an old car) and it just popped out of 5th for no reason.

There could be a few things wrong here, lack of oil in the gearbox can cause this, faulty syncromesh gear can cause this but if its been doing it for a while your going to be looking at a rebuild/new gearbox

Tony
Old 11 August 2002, 12:17 PM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

Had Zero problems with the Gearbox before yesterday. Now I'm frightened of driving it in case it locks up again. Looks like an "early doors" trip to the dealers tomorrow.
Old 11 August 2002, 08:53 PM
Smudge
Scooby Regular

Hi Dogus,

My MY99 just started the exact same thing. I phoned the local dealer, and said, "My Impreza Turbo is jumping out of 5th - should I be worried?" The girl on the service desk seemed to know exactly what I was talking about, and said, "We need to order a part in as it needs a modification, we'll let you know when it's in, and we'll need your car for a couple of days". Her response made me feel it was quite common. She also said it would be done under warranty - not bad considering I've done 71000 in it!

So perhaps not as bad as you think?

Mine also did the "locking up thing", but it sounds like you had more trouble than I did getting it going again. That was the first sign that something was awry.

Fingers crossed you get the same service!

Good Luck

Smudge
Old 11 August 2002, 09:24 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

My old MY00 had this. Theres a bolt in the gearbox that sometimes works loose. Had it fixed under warranty and it required a gearbox rebuild which took about 2 working days. Not sure of the exact nature of the fault but its somthing like that.
Old 12 August 2002, 10:37 AM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

Well I've just waved "bye bye" to in on the back of a recovery lorry.

Have to say.... 10/10 from Subaru Assistance, never had to call upon their services before but couldn't have been simpler. One call and they arranged collection of the P1 and delivery of a FREE hire car for the duration, even offered that if the 2 hours it will take to deliver the hire car wasn't quick enough they would reimburse me all taxi/train fares etc.

Wish all customer services dept's were this keen to oblige.

Will follow up with Garage findings re the Gearbox.
Old 16 August 2002, 10:50 PM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

Car came back today.....

Neil, you were spot on....some bolt worked loose in the GB and dome some damage as it wobbled around, needed some assembly replacing and the GB rebuilding but it's all done now and I guess it must have been working loose for a while as the gear lever now feels realy posative, much more so than I remember it ever being.

Hopefully trouble free for a while now.....gave it a good blast on the back lanes this evening..... "How I've missed her"