Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Electronic Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2002, 01:01 PM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
I'm considering fitting one of these (made by MRT) to my STi7. What are the pro's and cons?
Anyone have one fitted?

"Boost control electronic kit TMS1
MRT performance manufactured electronic variable boost control system for any turbo car. Common installation by MRTP into popular Impreza Models (incl the new 01 onwards) has provided a wealth of experience that you can benefit from. Features include: New high quality boost control solenoid, Separate MAP sensor that will read up to 30 psi (2 bar) with built in safety cut out at 20 psi, "closed Loop" boost monitoring. Kit comes complete with very detailed fitting instructions, as well as wire harness, hose, boost **** and control module. Kit allows the fitter to set the high and low boost point on the ECU module that is then controlled via a simple electrical ****. Separate sensitivity allows the unit to be "tuned" to your car so its neither sluggish on response or over boosts on rapid acceleration. Can be easily removed for servicing or fault diagnosis as the boost control solenoid runs independent of the factory OE ECU and boost system. Main feature to note is this will provide EARLIER boost with less lag, and the ability for you to turn down the boost (or up) if you have someone else driving your car! MRTP recommends you consult us for best reliability for boost settings, however with this kit, even on standard maximum factory boost your car will have less lag and more power.
Code: MUSSE017A
Price: $537.00 (Australian Dollars)
NOTE: Australian customers must add 10% GST
"
Old 25 July 2002, 01:44 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bruce,

Sounds like the mainstream type pf EBC which doesn't let you control boost via Throttle position and or RPM. If I was going to buy an EBC, I would go for one that does like the APEX-i AVC-R or similar.

You will probably also need someone who knows what they are doing to fit this type of EBC however.

Matt

P.S. I like the sound of the boost cut limit on the MRT one though, I'm not sure I've heard of one that does that before...
Old 25 July 2002, 02:39 PM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

Thx
Where can I find some more info on the APEX-i?

[Edited by BruceWarne - 7/25/2002 2:39:33 PM]
Old 25 July 2002, 02:46 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

Bruce, unless you're running high octane (102 or whatever) all the time would a RPM based EBC be such a good thing? Last thing you'd need is to be running 93 and it decides to boost to 1.2 or higher.

EBC is IMO good from a consistency perspective, no bouncing up and down - although I do have fluctuations of upto .1 on full boost under certain conditions.
Old 25 July 2002, 11:38 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

bruce, i have both the apexi items, one is the avc-r boost controller. i can assure you that its a top bit of kit too.

if you look at www.rcdevelopments.co.uk they have the info on there.
they also have downloadable manuals so you can get an idea of what they are capable of.

cheers
ian

p.s. just mail me if you need any other info etc
Old 26 July 2002, 06:09 AM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ian, will have a look.
Swan, I run 100RON...when that's not possible, I run 95RON minimum - these controllers have high/low boost setting (in cabin selectable)...so I don't see fuel being a problem.