Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY95.....standard boost?

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2002, 10:34 AM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reason i ask is because i have fitted one of these to my legacy turbo.
however, i run high boost, and was wondering if it would be an advantage to tighten up the actuator slightly?

thing is, its not adjustable, so i will just cut and weld the actuator arm to suit.
heres the question ___ anyone know how much i should shorten it by....1mm/2mm etc?

i know its a longshot question, but thought it was worth a go

cheers
Old 01 July 2002, 10:54 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've just had the same problem. I think the best way to do it would be cut the end off the actuator rod, thread it, and put a clevis pin on the end with a lock nut.

Alternatively, put a kink in the rod...

I used a very small bleed in the line to the actuator, with a restrictor (valve) before it. With my legacy ecu I get 15.5psi in second, 16 in third and up to 18 in 4th and 5th. The FCD i made still gives the ecu a signal from MAP senssor that rises with pressure, just less so. This way the ecu has some control over boost, and reduces it significantly after 6000rpm.

The pre97 ecus should be good for about 16.5psi mapped pressure, with a 17.5psi fuel cut (using no additional electronics).

I would still like to adjust the actuator rod, I also considered putting in a tensile spring, fixed to a clamp at the end of the rod. My concern is the heat might anneal the spring a little, and make it soft, if not, it might be an easy way to adjust the rate and preload of the actuator.

Paul