Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

More power from my UK Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2002, 07:00 PM
JingleZDJ
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know that there have probably been alot of discussion about this, but I am new to the Scooby domain, having got this MY98 UK Turbo in January this year.

I would like to know how I can get my Impreza to 270+ BHP, what mods do I need, who should I speak to etc.

I have read about the Prodrive Upgrade, is it worth it? Or is there better out there?

Any help would be great.
Old 27 June 2002, 07:33 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

ITG panel filter or an induction kit, K&N 57i is good.

Full de-cat exhaust system - scooby sport, power engineering, magnex, performance exhausts.net etc etc

ECUTEK - Tek 2 ecu, Link ecu etc, etc

Dawes

Front mounted intercooler

Uprated hoses - samco

The list goes on, and I'm sure others on here will add to my ramblings.

Try looking at www.powerengineering.co.uk
www.scoobysport.co.uk
www.grahamgoode.co.uk
www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk

etc, etc

Hope this helps. Oh and remember to uprate the brakes -
Old 27 June 2002, 08:07 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi,

I have just had some work done on MY97 to improve performance, its probably the same engine type as yours (phase 1) so results should be comparable.

First had a decat exhaust system + high flow replacement air filter element running on SUL. (small noticeable improvement)

Secondly fitted a Dawes and set the boost to a safe 15PSI (any more than that on a standard ECU and you risk fuel cut on MY97/98 and possible fuel mixture problems. (another small noticeable improvement, quicker spool up)

Lastly - just had a unichip fitted and upped the boost with the dawes to 17~18PSI. (this has given the biggest noticeable improvement)

Had the car on the dyno at powerstation giving 241BHP & 242ft/lb torque. This does not sound much but comparing results at powerstation (a conservative dyno) puts it ahead of most PPP cars and comparible to the Jap cars in terms of torque.

What you will find in the quest for ultimate BHP is that the TD04 turbo will be the limiting factor. It just runs out of puff at high rpm, the torque at lower rpm will be good however an you'll get the benefit of a quick spool up with the smaller turbo.

Doesn't bother me since I don't like to rev the nuts of my car anyway but you'll struggle to get the high BHP of the JAP cars with the standard turbo.

Rich

Old 27 June 2002, 08:53 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want bang for your buck:

VF23, 24, 28, 29 or 30 turbo, decat exhaust, fuel pump, HKS fuel cut defender, Dawes, boost gauge and AFR gauge is what I would do with a MY98.

The turbo would cost about £1000 new or £300-500 second hand. Exhaust £500 2nd hand (stainless so no real worries about second hand). Fuel pump £130. Fuel cut defender about £100. Dawes £35. Boost gauge and pod and AFR, maybe £100-200. Say about 8 hours labour if you can find someone to do all that and set it up for you. Could all be under £2k and a safe genuine 280 BHP.
Old 27 June 2002, 09:02 PM
JingleZDJ
Scooby Newbie

Well that all sound great

I think that I'll start to do some digging now for the parts and find out prices on the net if possible.

Thanks

Old 28 June 2002, 10:42 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

ECUTEK - Tek 2 ecu, Link ecu etc, etc
Can't do this on an MY98, its MY99 ECU's onwards only. The equivalent would be a PE Phase 1 conversion.