Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Hawkeye rear hub removal

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2021, 09:43 PM
000dave000
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye rear hub removal

I know this is a terrible job but is there a guide anywhere on here for tips, need to remove the AbS ring as usual everything is rusted solid
Old 20 July 2021, 10:09 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Heat and proper penetrating fluid can help but sometimes you just have to resort to an angle grinder and brute force. Have you tried the bolts yet?
The following users liked this post:
Old 20 July 2021, 10:25 PM
000dave000
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
Heat and proper penetrating fluid can help but sometimes you just have to resort to an angle grinder and brute force. Have you tried the bolts yet?
yes mate the shocker bolts no bother, but the large one that runs underneath is solid going to give it a shot again at the weekend, even the bolt for the abs sensor won’t budge, got an old mk1 golf in the garage that comes apart easier 😆
Old 20 July 2021, 10:42 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Ah yes those ABS sensors are a right PITA. Even if you manage to get the bolt out you might find the sensor is completely seized into the backplate. If the sensor still works I’d recommend lifting the rear seat and disconnecting the plug then unbolting from the trailing arm and leave the sensor itself alone.

This video might give you an idea of the fight you could be in for with the long bolt -

What I’ve done in the past is use my longest breaker bar and a lot of effort to get the bolt twisting in the hub (this shows it’s no longer completely seized in there) then remove the lateral arm from the subframe and twist it off the bushing still seized to the bolt, cut through the bushing and bolt right at the hub then knock it through with a big hammer. Obviously you’ll need the lateral arm outer bushings replaced.
The following users liked this post:
Old 29 July 2021, 09:46 PM
000dave000
Scooby Newbie

Cheers bud had to get a cutting disc onto the bolt but its the only way that was coming off, tried to get the ABS sensor off but the bolt had been well butchered just going to replace this as well