Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

6 speed gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2021, 10:23 AM
Barrynye
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6 speed gearbox

Hello I’m new here I have just brought an N reg scooby and wanna put a 6 speed gearbox and a 2.5 in it can someone please tell me

What gearbox to get and what 2.5 to get plus anything else to actually make it work

my scooby is V limited

if you need anymore info let me know thanks for your help
Old 26 February 2021, 11:46 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

the only 2.5 you should think about buying is a rebuilt one with good parts built by a builder with a good reputation for there 2.5's staying together lol

any of the 6 speeds will work provided you get a full kit , box , shifter , prop , rear diff , shafts , hubs and rear brakes including handbrake ,, the DCCD box can be more fun as it has slightly more rear bias ,, jan boxes have shorter gearing

Last edited by domino46; 26 February 2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 26 February 2021, 12:11 PM
neil97rs
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome and nice to see another one in Sussex im down the coast in Hastings

As for engines and boxes depends on what you want . I saw on your other post 450bhp is the target. Whats that for ? Track use , Daily , Street car with occasional track. Drag strip ? Or just bragging rights down the pub?
Why go 2.5? I understand the 6 speed box but if you are going to the expense of a forged 2.5 why not go 2.1 or 2.35 stroker .
If you let us know what the main aim is then you will probably get some more specific advise
Old 26 February 2021, 12:45 PM
Barrynye
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by neil97rs
Welcome and nice to see another one in Sussex im down the coast in Hastings

As for engines and boxes depends on what you want . I saw on your other post 450bhp is the target. Whats that for ? Track use , Daily , Street car with occasional track. Drag strip ? Or just bragging rights down the pub?
Why go 2.5? I understand the 6 speed box but if you are going to the expense of a forged 2.5 why not go 2.1 or 2.35 stroker .
If you let us know what the main aim is then you will probably get some more specific advise
The only reason I’m saying 450 and a 2.5 is because of the one I saw yesterday and he said he had a 2.5 in it and was 450 it will just be a toy somthing for my long weekends off from work in the summer and nope won’t be doing track days unless people on here was doing a meet

To be honest I don’t really have a clue what I should put in it that will be safe and get 450 that’s why I’m hoping everyone on here can help and point me in the rite direction

its 300 at the moment I’m not sure what it’s had done but got the printout for it when I brought it

im not looking to go a million miles an hour in it I want chucked back in your seat boost and a fast 0-100 really
Old 26 February 2021, 04:01 PM
neil97rs
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrynye
The only reason I’m saying 450 and a 2.5 is because of the one I saw yesterday and he said he had a 2.5 in it and was 450 it will just be a toy somthing for my long weekends off from work in the summer and nope won’t be doing track days unless people on here was doing a meet

To be honest I don’t really have a clue what I should put in it that will be safe and get 450 that’s why I’m hoping everyone on here can help and point me in the rite direction

its 300 at the moment I’m not sure what it’s had done but got the printout for it when I brought it

im not looking to go a million miles an hour in it I want chucked back in your seat boost and a fast 0-100 really

Depends on how much you want to sink into the car to be honest
Fully forged 2.5 will be 2-3k if you can find a good used one
6 speed box if you go DCCD again is £2500
Then 1k for the turbo
Decent ecu Syvecs or similar

Got to be looking at £8-10k But then you will also need bigger better brakes better suspension , You can do it by buying cheaper parts but in general they don't last as long and you need to buy again. Getting a classic to 450+ is a very expensive exercise if you want it to last. If you are prepared to do rebuilds and work yourself and it doesn't matter if it goes pop then bolt on the biggest turbo you can get give it some beans a few times then strip it down and rebuild it . But be prepared for lots of lag
Old 26 February 2021, 11:12 PM
Barrynye
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by neil97rs
Depends on how much you want to sink into the car to be honest
Fully forged 2.5 will be 2-3k if you can find a good used one
6 speed box if you go DCCD again is £2500
Then 1k for the turbo
Decent ecu Syvecs or similar

Got to be looking at £8-10k But then you will also need bigger better brakes better suspension , You can do it by buying cheaper parts but in general they don't last as long and you need to buy again. Getting a classic to 450+ is a very expensive exercise if you want it to last. If you are prepared to do rebuilds and work yourself and it doesn't matter if it goes pop then bolt on the biggest turbo you can get give it some beans a few times then strip it down and rebuild it . But be prepared for lots of lag

thanks for the reply and yeah I wanna spend the dollars on it so I’m prepared to spend it because want it to last do you know any places to get the stuff
Old 28 February 2021, 07:20 AM
Barrynye
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Barrynye
thanks for the reply and yeah I wanna spend the dollars on it so I’m prepared to spend it because want it to last do you know any places to get the stuff

http://jdmperformanceparts.co.uk/par...-jdm-swap.html

is this the box I need