Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Grinding noise at > 40mph in Left turns

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2020, 07:33 AM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Grinding noise at > 40mph in Left turns

Im trying to pin down what needs replacement.

Im getting a grinding noise from the FR that is more noticable at speeds of over 40mph but only occurs in left hand turns. You can hear / feel it best if you dont apply throttle but It is still there if you do.

Wrx MY05 117 k mile
MOT last week ( they cant find anything wrong with it on the Shaker when I asked them to look).
I had this problem before my recent gearbox rebuild at Plymouth Engine tune, they didnt see it either.

I cant feel any play in the bearing FR could this be in the shaft CV Joint or in the Diff output bearing ?
Old 23 October 2020, 12:02 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

spring getting soft and wheel catching?
Old 23 October 2020, 01:15 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Its on BCD's with +25 mm road clearance , for the single track roads here
So no.

I'm thinking its a wheel bearing , that I cannot feel while the wheel is just jacked in the air
and hoping its not a drive shaft or worse diff output bearing.
Old 23 October 2020, 01:22 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Push the pads/pistons into the calipers and try again.

Last edited by 1509joe; 23 October 2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 23 October 2020, 06:46 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

wheel bearing . . .
Old 23 October 2020, 06:51 PM
seanvx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar thing it was the brake dust shield rubbing take the disc off and have a look
The following users liked this post:
Old 23 October 2020, 07:16 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

I had an awful grinding noise but it was obvious something was grinding on my disc which turned out to be the pad retaining clip screw...when I first heard it I thought oh ****!! And **** myself

114pcd
Old 23 October 2020, 07:17 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

The disc is near enough brand new aswell so I was abit gutted but the good people at Godspeed sold me 1 front disc to replace this one.
Old 23 October 2020, 08:05 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Wheel bearing can be close to failure without any noticeable movement when checked.
How's your new life in the South West then? Always up for a visit if you ever road trip down to Land's End
Old 23 October 2020, 08:19 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by johno01
I had an awful grinding noise but it was obvious something was grinding on my disc which turned out to be the pad retaining clip screw...when I first heard it I thought oh ****!! And **** myself

114pcd

Are hooks any good over plane discs
Old 23 October 2020, 08:24 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Are hooks any good over plane discs
To be honest mate I replaced them for the sake of it, my son is always in the car with me so I never speed so I can’t comment on how good they are. There’s been a couple times I’ve slammed on an they feel ok but I cannot know for sure how good they are. On a side note they squeal like mad at low speeds which is annoying. By all means robsy you can have this disc for nothing if you want it 👍
Old 23 October 2020, 11:21 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

I have pushed the pistons back into the calipers ,
I had sticking pistons a few years back, and resolved that when spliting the calipers prior to adding the spacer for the thicker Godspeed 335mm dia discs.
Anyhow thwy oushed back smoothly this time.
I will road test in morning.
Old 23 October 2020, 11:29 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Linksfahrer
I have pushed the pistons back into the calipers ,
I had sticking pistons a few years back, and resolved that when spliting the calipers prior to adding the spacer for the thicker Godspeed 335mm dia discs.
Anyhow thwy oushed back smoothly this time.
I will road test in morning.
I meant push the pistons back in and check your wheel bearing again. The pressure of the pads on the disc can hold everything in place and you don't feel the play in the bearing.
Old 24 October 2020, 10:43 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Is the brake hose installed correctly also?
I dont think its the heat shield as it only happens turning a certain way, the shield shouldnt move so for the noise to come and go there has to be something moving,
Nothing should be able to move to allow the disc to touch the shield,
I still stick to a wheel bearing.
Old 24 October 2020, 12:38 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Default Problem Solved

Originally Posted by 1509joe
I meant push the pistons back in and check your wheel bearing again. The pressure of the pads on the disc can hold everything in place and you don't feel the play in the bearing.
I can almost guarantee nobody will ever have this problem unless they use the WRX big brake disc conversion from Ian Godney and self source replacement pads.

I just took the car for a test drive after pushing the front pads back into the calipers ( driving gingerly using handbrake only ) on a curved road I accelerated to 50mph or so and then turned in , the grinding noise was gone.
as soon as I used the foot brake the noise returned.

Back home , I removed the wheels and looked at the pads , see picture below. What you see here is a Ferrodo FCP 817 H DS2500 pad , I believe normally used on a Aston Martin. This very large size pad is mounted inside the Godspeed big brake conversion which splits and adapts the original WRX calipers to take a greatly enlarged twin hat disk. But the FCP 817 H are sourced by myself and were lightly modified to fit. Unfortunately on the righthand Caliper I had allowed a bit to much float and one of the pads has settled 1-2 mm too high.
Over time the pad had worn down creating a lip over the top of the disk , which then while standing rusts slightly on its rim. So now when you drive a left hand bend the very slight play in the wheel bearing is amplified enough to rub the rim of the disk to the lip of the pad.

As you can see from the position of the swept area the pad should sit a couple of mm closer to the hub / disk hat . The shinning area extends right to the edge.
you are looking at the left side which is aligned exactly but the right side exhibits this too.

To resolve this noise I simply have deburred the brake pads for now , but when I buy the next replacements I will have to pay more attention to file the pad mount slot only inwards
Presumably the very slight bearing play is enough to allow he pad to rub on the disk edge. So I expect after 117k miles these are also due for a replacement.

So my thanks to Joe and Stig , you were both sort of right without knowing it.
Old 24 October 2020, 01:51 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Seen this numerous times Sir the bearings can deteriorate very quickly so as to save yourself the hassle of messing and grinding at pads it would be far better to replace your bearings. Job done

Last edited by 1509joe; 24 October 2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 24 October 2020, 01:58 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

You will also find as the bearing wears you will end up with considerable travel on your footbrake due to the pads and discs having to straighten the wheel before any braking force is applied. Also with your two piece discs could become expensive.
Old 24 October 2020, 02:01 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Wheel bearing can be close to failure without any noticeable movement when checked.
How's your new life in the South West then? Always up for a visit if you ever road trip down to Land's End
Certainly like to meet up PM me
Old 24 October 2020, 02:10 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
You will also find as the bearing wears you will end up with considerable travel on your footbrake due to the pads and discs having to straighten the wheel before any braking force is applied. Also with your two piece discs could become expensive.
For sure, when I first bought the car 2012 the brakes had been ragged , and the vibration was terrible while the disks were warped and the amount of heat generated goes into the bearing , I quickly decided to do away with the puny disks
Im sure all that vibration that does not do the bearing any good either.

I have just checked the right side for play again and TBH its really minimal, and I had that opinion from Torpooint MOT who sees several of us in.
But point taken I will have both done next time with Alyn at Plymouth engine tune at 117k its time I think.

Thanks to everyone for the contributions