Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Classic impreza transmission crossmember weld nut

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2020, 05:27 PM
JaxiMazz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic impreza transmission crossmember weld nut

Not a request but more advice since it was a pain in the **** figuring out how to sort this, so figured it might help someone in future. Car is a v1/v2 GF8 but i think it should still apply to later facelift models.

The threads on the weld nut for one of my transmission crossmembers had worn due to age (i think one of the previous owners ****ed it because the bolt had been replaced), so was spinning when tightening.

You can see on the 1st picture that the bolt is attached to the body. Since the weld nut is inside the shell the only way to get access for removal is to drill through the floor inside.

Luckily for me the bolt actually reversed out on the worn threads, but if yours isn't or you've sheared the welds on the nut itself you'll have to cut the bolt head off then push it through. To know exactly where to drill from inside I drilled from the underside through the bolt hole then from the inside through this hole with a bigger bit. Use a centre punch through the bolt hole to stop the drill bit from skating around since the floor you'll be drilling through is angled.

BEFORE you drill you'll want to lift the carpet and remove the seat and check there are no wires near to the drill area. You can do this with the seat in I did since there's no space for my seat in the garage and I just couldn't be arsed taking it out, simply loosen the back 2 bolts of the seat and remove the front 2 bolts of the seat and it should be able to tilt back like shown below.

If like me you need to break the weld nut off I used a 500nm impact wrench and it popped off cleanly if you don't have an impact wrench you can use a rolling head pry bar and rock it back and forth to pop the spot welds.

Clean up the rust with a small wire cup brush then zinc primer to prevent rust in future, it's also a good point to hoover the crap under the carpets and around the pedals.

For replacement bolts I used grade 10.9 M10 flanged bolts from Spalding Fasteners (https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/...ed-set-screws/) and high tensile nuts from them, they also sell rubber grommets if you want to plug the hole or just duct tape it like i did. You could probably get away with using regular grade 5 nuts and bolts but why risk it.

Last edited by JaxiMazz; 28 March 2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 28 March 2020, 09:34 AM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Good write up. Thanks.
Don't forget to spray anti rust fluid inside the box while it's open.
Old 28 March 2020, 03:01 PM
JaxiMazz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point I cleaned with a wire cup brush and then zinc primered but didn't take a picture. Will update the post.