Knocking when warm - Driveshafts recently replaced

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2019, 10:54 AM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Knocking when warm - Driveshafts recently replaced

Hi all,

The on-going saga of locating and fixing an annoying knock on the Subaru continues....

I had a few knocks whilst driving, especially cornering, two replacement driveshafts (new but not OEM) seems to have helped quiet those noises. However now I have noticed a knocking only when the car gets warm (about 15 minutes of driving), which appears to happen only when I am not on the power. It also seems to be consistent with road speed, pressing the clutch makes no difference and the noise happens when driving in a straight line (and when cornering I believe although I'd have to check). The noise when sitting in the drivers seat sounds towards the front left of the car, however my wife on the passenger side thinks it is coming from the right, so I am assuming its central - although my wife cannot be trusted to point out the correct location :P

This may have been there all the time but due to the other faults I haven't noticed it, however it was definitely more noticeable after changing the first driveshaft.

I would appreciate opinions on what this could be? Faulty driveshaft / CV joint, Diff (which one), can low transmission fluid cause this problem? I checked the fluid and it looks lower than it should be but on the dipstick it was the perfect colour. I think it might be time to get it into a garage for diagnosis, even if it is just to locate the noise up on some decent ramps.

Thanks for any suggestions and ideas - I have stopped driving the car until I get more of an idea on what the problem is as I do not want to create a bigger (read more expensive) fault.