Bugeye GX - Knocking when warm

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2011, 09:22 PM
deanread
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye GX - Knocking when warm

Hi Everyone.

From what I can gather I have one of those annoyingly common problems.

I have a 2000 plate Bugeye GX with 100k on the clock and I have owned it for 2 months. its fine doing small trips of less than 20mins or so but anything over that and it develops a horrible knock at full lock.

I've taken it to my relatives garage and we've had it up on the ramps.. outer CV joints seem fine, plenty of grease. We've changed the gearbox oil today and it looked pretty thin but we had no metal fillings attached to the magnetic sump plug. refilled it with 75W90 oil. We can't find any play anywhere else or see any signs of wear.

Any ideas?

i've had a look around the internet and come across people mentioning issues with the Viscous Coupling??

Thanks in advance. Dean
Old 16 June 2011, 10:38 PM
cooperjohn
Scooby Regular

change your track rod ends
Old 16 June 2011, 10:48 PM
deanread
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the reply..

it only happens after the car has warmed up... would it not knock all the while if it was track rod ends? i'm no mechanic :-)
Old 17 June 2011, 11:18 AM
SteveDuk
Scooby Newbie

Sounds like you're having the same problem I am on my 04 blob STI. From the research I've done I think the centre diff or rather the viscous coupling inside it is knackered(have to buy the whole unit). Mine clunks/clicks badly on lock once the car is hot - needs a good motorway run to do it (apparently +30C is when the silicone fluid will breakdown if its knackered). When cold it just feels like it's winding itself up (like I'm running over peoples feet!). I've no problems changing gears or with any other noises.

Diff swap looks easy enough and can be done with the gearbox in place. I've looked for a diff and think I might end up buying a new one.

Anyone on here flogging a diff?

Please let me know how you get on with yours.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by SteveDuk; 17 June 2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 24 June 2011, 10:17 PM
deanread
Scooby Newbie

i've bought another gearbox, centre diff, prop & rear diff on eBay today. only need the centre diff and box but couldn't say no to it all as it was £80 :-)

hopefully i'll have it cured in the next few days when i can get around to fitting it
Old 24 June 2011, 11:40 PM
SteveDuk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by deanread
i've bought another gearbox, centre diff, prop & rear diff on eBay today. only need the centre diff and box but couldn't say no to it all as it was £80 :-)

hopefully i'll have it cured in the next few days when i can get around to fitting it
Let us know how you get on - still trawling the web here and think I'll end up buying new
Old 04 July 2011, 09:41 AM
deanread
Scooby Newbie

Just to let you know.. we changed the Centre Diff / Gearbox and the problem has now been fixed :-) happy times.

we haven't stripped the centre diff to look for any signs of the problem but we are pretty confident that it was the offending article.

thanks for your comments people.

Dean
Old 04 July 2011, 11:13 AM
SteveDuk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by deanread
Just to let you know.. we changed the Centre Diff / Gearbox and the problem has now been fixed :-) happy times.

we haven't stripped the centre diff to look for any signs of the problem but we are pretty confident that it was the offending article.

thanks for your comments people.

Dean
Awesome, just got to find a diff for mine now! I think I might get a new one (£600 ) and be done with it.

Do you plan on stripping your old box to have look what went wrong? If not, can I offer to do it?

Last edited by SteveDuk; 04 July 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 14 July 2011, 08:22 AM
SteveDuk
Scooby Newbie

Just to let you know...

I've put a new diff in mine & replaced the redline oil with Syntrax & everything's fine now. The gear changes are really smooth when the engine is hot or cold and the damn clonking has gone. It's an easy job to do and took about 3 hours over a pit, plodding along.