Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

DP De-Cat /MOT test

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2002, 12:55 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

So much talk about aftermarket downpipes but who can tell me if their car MY99/00 has passed a MOT with the front cat removed but the secondary one retained?

It appears to be too much hassle if you need to change it out yearly to get through the MOT.

Are there any associated mods that need to be done at the same time? eg boost creeping up?

Any recommendations on which type, fit, performance gains etc.

Advice would be appreciated.
Old 17 June 2002, 01:36 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Andy,

In theory, you're car should not pass an MOT as the cat in the DP is the main one ... however, apparently, if your car is nice and hot when arriving at the MOT station, some people have reported their car passing!

As for performance, I believe you will find the Turbo gets going earlier and slightly quicker, which will improve low down torque and make the car noticably more ''Drivable'' - less gear changing, etc. You will notice a little more noise in the cabin - whooshing of turbo / wastegate, etc.

Two types of DP's are predominant in the market - Twin dump and Single collector. Scoobysport Single collector is very popular to gain more of the low down torque and I beleive the twin dump (magnex, etc) style tends to give greater torque higher up the rev. range.

I haven't done this conversion yet, but hopefully am about to, so this info is simply wot I've gained thru chatting and reading this 'ere BB!

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 17 June 2002, 03:23 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andy,

I'm getting a new TSL DP and centre fitted a week today, so I'll tell you first hand what improvements I get. I'm keeping the STI backbox as I don't want the whole system to be too loud. How long that lasts I don't know

I need to get an MOT, so the plan is too re-fit the std centre and see what the emissions are like. A friend of the family has there own garage, so I'll be testing the "get it warm" first theory.

Whereabouts are you in Scotland?

Stefan

Edited to say that the DP looks like a complete barsteward to change. Unless you know a good mechanic and have access to either plenty of trolley jacks or a proper ramp, I wouldn't tackle it myseld. Got as far as removing the IC over the weekend, then gave up out of sheer frustration.

[Edited by ozzy - 6/17/2002 3:25:05 PM]