Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

6 Speed Smoother Shifts Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2016, 11:09 AM
STI450
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 6 Speed Smoother Shifts Advice Needed

Any tips/tricks to getting smoother shifts on a 6 speed '08 STI hatch gearbox?

I've noticed that 2nd to 3rd under full acceleration in 3rd isn't the smoothest and you have to shove it which quite a decisive action! I'm still getting used to the car having only just bought it and notice I sometimes miss third as I move across the gate too far!

Car is running 450bhp/450TQ so am just wondering if perhaps I need to look at some gearbox upgrades/supports. eg. STI Group N 6spd Gearbox Mount etc
Old 05 July 2016, 08:13 AM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could try a nylon gear linkage bush kit from as performance
, a different gear **** might help, I've got a rallytec one on mine which is longer and heavier and shifting is really nice now. Don't take it the wrong way, but also think about your gear changes, try and smooth it out.
Old 05 July 2016, 04:54 PM
STI450
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, will keep in mind to be smoother with the changes and will have a look at AS Performance.
Old 05 July 2016, 05:07 PM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bush kit has been one of the best mods on my car, and it's cheap. Makes for a very snicky (made up word I know) gear change.
Old 05 September 2016, 10:32 AM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm suffering the same issues on a recently rebuilt WR1 box fitted to a classic. At a recent RWYB meet I kept hitting fifth instead of third. I have the AS bush kit fitted, sure its improved the feel but not solved the third gear issue when changing under load or in race conditions.
Next on my list is a short shift kit but I'm undecided what one to use.
Old 05 September 2016, 05:33 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th have always been the same on all the 6 speeds, the synchros dont like to be rushed
Old 05 September 2016, 05:43 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by edsel
I'm suffering the same issues on a recently rebuilt WR1 box fitted to a classic. At a recent RWYB meet I kept hitting fifth instead of third. I have the AS bush kit fitted, sure its improved the feel but not solved the third gear issue when changing under load or in race conditions.
Next on my list is a short shift kit but I'm undecided what one to use.
Think that's more of your technique tbh, and IMO 6 speeds don't need a short shift kit, they are short enough as is and will potentially give you more gear changing issues like popping out of gear etc, the 5 speeds benifit short shift better as they are a longer throw.
Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th have always been the same on all the 6 speeds, the synchros dont like to be rushed
4th-5th is common for crunch issues when in race mode, I've combatted a gear change that solves it
All my other gears are fine btw.
Old 05 September 2016, 05:44 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Replacing the rear diff cradle bushes makes a lot of difference to the gear change feel much more solid
Old 05 September 2016, 06:50 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

I've been telling myself its my technique for months, never had issues with any other gearbox.
I'm still using the five speed clutch and fly, would that have any bearing on the poor changes? Heavy duty mounts have just been purchased and a six speed clutch is imminent, we'll see if that improves my technique No crunches in the recently rebuilt box.
Old 05 September 2016, 06:57 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edsel
I've been telling myself its my technique for months, never had issues with any other gearbox.
I'm still using the five speed clutch and fly, would that have any bearing on the poor changes? Heavy duty mounts have just been purchased and a six speed clutch is imminent, we'll see if that improves my technique No crunches in the recently rebuilt box.
Brace everything up, drivetrain wise, will keep the box less leany when on full power etc, box might be tilting too much because of soft bushes.
Diff brace, box mount, cradle mounts, dog bone etc will keep box stable and aid in easier changes and less rock type motion
Old 06 September 2016, 08:57 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

I also struggle with the 2nd -> 3rd technique and been reliably informed that instead of trying to push it up & across into 3rd just go straight up with no force across and itll go straight into 3rd. Still trying to master it but still find myself going up & across
Old 06 September 2016, 09:41 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
I also struggle with the 2nd -> 3rd technique and been reliably informed that instead of trying to push it up & across into 3rd just go straight up with no force across and itll go straight into 3rd. Still trying to master it but still find myself going up & across
The gearbox naturally returns to centre so you shouldn't need to move the stick across at all. You need literally no pressure on the stick to shift 2-3 it will find its own way home....
Old 06 September 2016, 10:28 AM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

3rd to 4th I some times get problems when booting it
Old 06 September 2016, 04:02 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

After investigating further I've found a split engine mount, purchased uprated engine and gearbox mounts. I'll report back when fitted.
Old 06 September 2016, 04:13 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
The gearbox naturally returns to centre so you shouldn't need to move the stick across at all. You need literally no pressure on the stick to shift 2-3 it will find its own way home....
2 fingers on the rear of the gearknob and just push it forward works for me, gentley does it but quickly
Old 06 September 2016, 05:40 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I can't believe we're actually discussing how to change gear Loool.
Old 06 September 2016, 05:58 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
aye i know, but what i was getting at is that when rattling up through the gears asap i have a tendency to try and ram it into 3rd by going up and across, same way in going from 4th to 5th you'll go up & across for it - its just a bad habit
Old 06 September 2016, 07:52 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
Also what RPM are you shifting ?

RE Short shifts on a 6 speed, no idea why it wouldnt make life easier, I love the GGR one on mine, just less effort required when changing gear, it did come with both bushes so that will help with precision changes, if it is loose and worn it will make the changes harder.